The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
lisalisa

STREAKS OF LIGHT IN THE DARK

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

lisalisa

Hi everyone

I was just wondering has anyone else ever had this wierd thing happen... when you switch light off and shut your eyes to go to sleep, bright flashes of light appear whilst your eyes are closed. When this was happening to me i would also feel my right eye dancing about under the eyelid.

Also i sometimes see a dark shape out of corner of my eye... and i could swear it was a person walking past but theres noone there. That happens quite often and still freaks me out if im in house on my own, cos i think oh my god who was that!!

Does this happen to anyone else??

Thankfully my vision is improving, tho i still have some problems with it.

Lisa

Dianni

Hi Lisa

I know a few of us here have had various weird and wonderful sight problems. I personally see 'spiders' out of the corner of my left eye. Luckily I'm not scared of spiders!

Its possible the flashy lights you see when you close your eyes are a normal phenomana (sp) I think it's something to do with the retina settling but I could be wrong. It's always best to get any strange or new things to do with the eyes checked.

Hope this passes quickly.

Hugs

Di

xxx

linds

Hi Lisa, I can relate very well to this problem. It takes a lot of getting used to. It comes and goes. Does your eye ever feel sticky or teary? It may be nystigmus. It might be a good idea to have it checked. Sometimes these things go away on their own and seldom come back. If you are stressed at the mo (and who would blame you) it could be that you notice lots of things that usually you would just dismiss. Anyway yes I do relate to what you are describing and it is not pleasant at all. BTY do you get headache etc with it. Lindsx

Lindsx

danny

hi lisa

i had quite a lot of vision problems last year (optic neuritis) my opthomologist did say the bright flashing when i went to bed was to be expected something to do with the inflammation on the optic nerve, nothing to worry about too much although this is assuming u have the same problem may still be best to get checked out tho. i also noticed similar things when exercising or hotter.

take care

Danny

lisalisa
Hi Lisa, I can relate very well to this problem. It takes a lot of getting used to. It comes and goes. Does your eye ever feel sticky or teary? It may be nystigmus. It might be a good idea to have it checked. Sometimes these things go away on their own and seldom come back. If you are stressed at the mo (and who would blame you) it could be that you notice lots of things that usually you would just dismiss. Anyway yes I do relate to what you are describing and it is not pleasant at all. BTY do you get headache etc with it. Lindsx

Hi Linds,

when my symptoms were bad i would have a headache every morning which would gradually wear off during the day, it was always in the top of my neck and the base of skull on the right side. Thats gone now but i was and still am to a certain extent getting an ache behind my eye when i move it.

I was also getting what i can only describe as having a short circuit in my eye. My vision would be blurred and then start flickering, going back into focus, then flickering quite rapidly. Like when an electrial appliance is failing and it will be failing but keep having splutters of activity.

These episodes would only last for a matter of minutes.

I was getting double vision as well but only looking to one side and when outside i would have to look at the floor all time whilst walking cos if looked ahead of me the whole environment would be juddering up and down and i would start veering left and banging into walls and lamp posts.

Lisa :rofl:

lisalisa

Hi Danny,

i have been seeing optician regular ( every 2 mths), he was the person who first spotted that there might be a neurological problem. I havnt been refered to an opthomologist. Optician did say my optic disc was clear.

Luckily my eye probs are a lot better than they were, double vision has gone and my visual acuity has improved a lot. Now its just intermittent blurriness seeing things out corner of eye and aching behind my eye occasionaly.

Thanks to Di as well for reply.

Lisa

Loopy

Hi Lisa

I experience flashing lights too. Sometimes when it's dark but also during the day, they are often blue in colour. I think it's migraine related (I don't have headaches but have these weird flashes and feel off balance and light-headed a lot).

I've just read your last post which sounds very familiar, I have been known to veer off in one direction when I'm meant to be going in the other :rofl: and have recently started to get a dull ache down the back of my right thigh too. It's not painful, more uncomfortable than anything else.

I was told my brain MRI was fine with no signs of lesions so have just left it for the time being.

x

Edited by Loopy

lisalisa
Hi Lisa

I experience flashing lights too. Sometimes when it's dark but also during the day, they are often blue in colour. I think it's migraine related (I don't have headaches but have these weird flashes and feel off balance and light-headed a lot).

I've just read your last post which sounds very familiar, I have been known to veer off in one direction when I'm meant to be going in the other :question2: and have recently started to get a dull ache down the back of my right thigh too. It's not painful, more uncomfortable than anything else.

I was told my brain MRI was fine with no signs of lesions so have just left it for the time being.

x

Hi there

Yes that is just like me cos when optician told me i needed to see a doctor, i was already going anyway cos i had dull aching pain down back of my thigh, where you get sciatica. The aching was constant and made worse if i bent my neck or bent over.

Does yours hurt more if you bend your neck?

Did you have your MRI with glanoldian ( prob spelt wrong) injection for contrast?

I didnt and from what ive been reading an MRI done without it will only find old lesions. Contrast agent is needed to show new ones.

Lisa :rofl:

linds

Hi Lisa

Yes i also get the flickering. Headache on waking and lasting a few days too. This has gone away years ago (the headaches) This is when they had me as migrainous. S ometimes the neurologists discharge you until your Dr feels that a re referal is appropriate. If your visual probs continue or become worse maybe think about asking for a referal Hope this helps Linds Sorry can't be much help.

Lindsx

Loopy

I had a physio session for my light-headedness (which was thought to be caused by chronic hyperventilation) but I mentioned to her problems I had with my leg. She got me to do an exercise where I sat on the edge of the couch bent over with as bad a posture as I could manage with my arms behind my back. I then had to raise one leg and flex my foot up and down.

When I was all bent over it hurt more and I found it really difficult. She said that I had a lot of stiffness in my lower back which was very common and said to do these exercises once or twice a day. She also said I needed to stretch my back out when I woke in the morning.

The sciatica thing only bothered me at that time of the month but this time round it seems to have continued.....

I've had a couple of MRIs one with one without and I believe that there wasn't any difference between the 2, except that one just looked a bit clearer I think.

Hope you get some answers soon, let me know how you get on x

lisalisa
I had a physio session for my light-headedness (which was thought to be caused by chronic hyperventilation) but I mentioned to her problems I had with my leg. She got me to do an exercise where I sat on the edge of the couch bent over with as bad a posture as I could manage with my arms behind my back. I then had to raise one leg and flex my foot up and down.

When I was all bent over it hurt more and I found it really difficult. She said that I had a lot of stiffness in my lower back which was very common and said to do these exercises once or twice a day. She also said I needed to stretch my back out when I woke in the morning.

The sciatica thing only bothered me at that time of the month but this time round it seems to have continued.....

I've had a couple of MRIs one with one without and I believe that there wasn't any difference between the 2, except that one just looked a bit clearer I think.

Hope you get some answers soon, let me know how you get on x

Hi

I will let you know what happens when i see GP this week. I think prob as Linds has said the neuro discharges you until rereferal is needed. Which i suppose is fair enough. Now ive found this place at least i can talk to people who know wot im on about and ask if others have had wierd things happening without sounding like ive lost plot.

Yesterday i felt terrible with worry... but today i feel calmer and altho i still want to know for sure i accept that i may have to have an uncertain time ahead of me. At least i know what signs to look for if it happens again.

Lisa