The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Wnella

Working with MS ?

When after you had MS where you forced to stop working ?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Wnella
Out of personal curiosity I was wondering how many of us are still able to work as I fall into "still at work full-time but struggling to keep going" category at moment :hairraising: . Thanks for taking part :chickendance:

"One man's hell is another man's paradise"

Michelle

Quite shocking results...so far! :chickendance:

Michelle :hairraising:

Sluggish
Marina

I'm moving this to the Polls section :chickendance:

Except that I've just realised one can't reply? (not too sure now how I set it up!) If you can't reply, please let me know.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Sluggish
Marina

I've changed the settings for this Polls section so that one can reply when a comment might be requested or useful. However, replies in polls will only be when there is a question that requires you to comment.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

SeTi^

Eh oh

I gave up work about 2 months BEFORE I was diagnosed as I was too ill to carry on running my business. I have been unemployed for five years up until June of this year when my mother and I decided to run a public house.

I struggle with the late nights and early mornings but I love feeling a part of something again so I plan to keep going for as long as I can.

I take some time off in the week and leave the early starts to my mum as I am better at night.

Take care,

Sian

:snail:

You need both the sun and the rain to make a rainbow appear

marcia

I was working on a temporary basis but had to stop work BEFORE diagnosis

ppms, diagnosed 1992

Aldo

still working full time but struggle to do some things at work.

If i dont work im homless, simple. plus its my own business.

cat nap in the afternoon works wonders!

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

liddy

I work part-time and sometimes when its heavy going, I DO struggle. Luckily I have a couple of good co-workers who share the burden.

Everyone in our department works hard except the boss!!! Says it all really doesnt it?

scubachick

My employers really good, they allow me to work from home and only turn in for meetings etc.

So I still work full-time.

Tracy

--------------------

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness!

tammy

I still work full time but struggle at times as i work in a shopping centre it all depends on what time of year it is .My boss is understanding about the amount of time i take off.There are things that i can't do at work but also things i'm not aloud to do due to health and safety i an going to stay at work for as long as poss as believe it or not i enjoy my job and i feel guilty if i don't go in because i feel like i am letting other people down.

Hezza

Still working but have cut my hours now to 30per week from home. I CAN work full time but it leaves me shattered & I have at least a day a week when I'm useless!!

Made the decision to reduce hours to allow me to manage my fatigue better & have more energy for fun outside of work :you-rock:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Aldo

Now down to part time due to my MS :cheerleader3: , company is now struggling :hearts:

been to job centre, waiting on an appointment with the disabled employment advisor!

Please ignore my spelling.. I struggle at the best of times!

Tania B

I've been working part-time for nearly 7 years but not because of MS. I was only diagnosed just over a month ago and had been coping quite well I suppose until relatively recently, maybe because I do work part-time. However, onon one of my 3 working days, I work from 10 am until 7.30 and this is the hardest for me. The neurologist who diagnosed MS suggested that I talk to my employers and readjust my working hours. Fatique seems to hit me in the late afternoon/ early evening. I am contracted to work 20 hours a week. My immediate boss is lovely and has mentioned arranging to speak to HR about making any adjustments I may need. Adjustments have already been made in the hours for 2 colleagues, one of whom has ME/ CFS. So far I've only taken time for medical appointments and tried to work different days so I don't miss work.

Tania :console:

Edited by Tania B

ptlike
Out of personal curiosity I was wondering how many of us are still able to work as I fall into "still at work full-time but struggling to keep going" category at moment :lmao2: . Thanks for taking part :hugs2:

Hi Wnella

Yes still working as many hours as I can but weather, economy and my mobility restricting my hours, I work in the building trade as a self employed builder. I can't carry anything heavy or walk far without stopping but I am hanging in there at moment with help, I guess I will have to stop very shortly though

All the best

Peter

tdkstratus

I've been carrying on as much as possible since diagnosis in the summer. But I can't seem to add two responses. I work full time and part time to pay the bills. Is there a way to add this to that it would reflect it acurately? But I do sometimes struggle but just rest as much as I can when I get home. I'm fortunate enough that my MS isn't too bad right now, but I still have my limits and know when i've gone too far. Lucky for me that both my employers understand and always make sure that I'm feeling ok and not doing too much.

Terri

Ohana - Where nobody gets left behind or forgotten

baward

I was made redundant from a home-based job at the end of 2008, and I've not really looked for anything else (especially in this economic environment and living in the country)

Ben

Bernadette

I continued working for 5 and a half years after first getting MS, as I recovered completely and not much happened in the way of relapses.

I only gave up work to go on maternity leave, and I wasn't intending to return to work anyway, but I have deteriorated since then, and doubt I'd be able to work, unless there was a job right on my doorstep!

Anyhow, being a housewife and mother is work enough. :D

Beverley

I've got the perfect job really as I'm self-employed, working for a text question service from home (www.63336.com). I only work when i want to, there are no contracted hours. It means that if I'm tired, I have a nap... if my brain is fuzzled, I have a nap !!

Of course it does mean that as I've got worse, the amount I earn lessens and that's a problem. I tried to claim for disability benefit, but was turned down.

Beverley

xox

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Some 7 years after a formal diagnosis, I was offered an early retirement option. The Company was having a bit of a mass cull at the time.

I was just turning 50, my career was going nowhere and the office, where I was working, was being sold. So, having read the writing on the wall, I went quietly..........

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

vix

Managed to keep working full time as a Paramedic for a year after DX but after having my son in April this year I am not sure that I will return to my part time job that I have been doing since January this year, as since having little man some strange things have been happening with my MS

vix.jpg

Peerob

My story is very long and very complicated.

My ex-employer when I was diagnosed with MS was having a mass cull anyway. New directors decided to get rid of most of the highly paid employees and I believed they used my illness against me. So I resigned and launched an unfair dismissal claim against them using the disability discrimination act. To cut a long story short we settled out of court. I did all the legal work myself and it was very intensive and it went down to the wire!

I then got a new job with a new employer doing the same kind of work even though the managing director knew about my health condition. After a few years when my health condition got worse he ended up allowing me to work from home which I have done ever since.

This is a very brief description of a very complicated story. The message is do not let people get the better of you, always fight your corner.

Edited by Peerob

suzysue

It was hard working fulltime in a busy bar serving food and trying to be helpfull to customers,but new it couldnt carry so now im down to 18 hrs spread over 4 days which keeps me motivated,my legs arent at there best at this moment, Drs have put meon Gabapentin,and also starting copaxane tomorow so fingers crossed after a couple of weeks il be back at work feeling a bit better :cheerleader:

sammyj

still working full time. some weeks i struggle more than others but as my mobility is not affected i hope to keep going as long as possible.

my manager is very understanding and i can work from home if necessary. also on flexitime so if the fatigue gets overwhleming i just go home and kip.

:sleep4:

HeidelsCorner

I'm glad this topic is up. I'm still working full time but to be honest, I'm really starting to struggle. My employer is being good though and I work from home twice a week now. If I could move to working from home all week, I think that would really help. I have rather a long commute and it nearly killed me yesterday, especially since I'm currently in a relapse. I previously worked for myself and I guess my long-term view would be to go back to that as it would give me some flexibility to work the hours when I'm most productive, however, it's not always possible, is it?

• Like 1

Love 'n' Blessings

Clare x

jonwat

Hi.

I was diagnosed 3 months ago. I am still in full-time employment, though I may not be for much longer (redundancy, unrelated to my MS).