The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Hezza

All by myself...

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hezza

Morning all,

Well I find myself home alone...or as alone as you get with 3 dogs and a Guinea Pig :lolbash:

Left my hubby and a friend at Heathrow airport yesterday to fly to Morocco where they are going to trek across the Sahara Desert for the MS Trust. He gets back late next Sunday afternoon.

We've been apart for that long before but not without any form of communication and that's making me feel a little lonely. Ron's not just my husband, he's my best friend, my confidant & when I feel grotty my rock & sometimes decision maker. Exchanged a last text message this morning - he will shortly be heading off into the desert. I'm hugely proud of them both - this is a hell of a challenge (here's the itinerary) - and between them they've raised over

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Gaynor

Well I shall also be at home chillin for much of this week as these symptoms hopefully abate.

Great you have so many offers though Cara?!! - I wouldn't be washin up all week! Mm....but saying that talking does wear you out...so maybe a bit of both would be a good balance.

You know where I am xx

toby

Hi Cara,

Good on Ron for taking up a challenge like that!!

Best of luck to him and wishing him a safe journey.

We will all be here, if you need cyber hugs.

toby x

garrym

Hi Cara and everyone,

That is great that your hubby is doing that for the M.S Trust. More strength to their elbows!

Hope you all are having a great Sunday too.

I'm unfortunately working today- sitting up here in Glasgow!

For once the internet is not blocked, so i have full access today- so i can actually type messages from a P.C! Normally all we can look at is the BBC News website! So I am going to use as much of my day browsing the net and being on here as is possible!

Garry

Mikey

This trek is a great example of someone doing something useful for MS. Good for them and Godspeed!

Michelle

What a challenge for both you and Ron. I agree about the non- msers. I found this forum such a blessing. Keep trucking matey. You are mucho loved here!

Michelle :cheerleader3:

linds

Hi Cara,

Have a Cara Sunday and enjoy your pet family. May we all be proud of Ron and friend all the others who help with the struggle against ms.

I for one am very appreciative Love Lindsxx

Lindsx

Vegged Out
Shirl

Thank you, Ron and his friend, and thank you, Cara too. You are both on this challenge. For you it is one of self-sufficiency - making choices about your time of work, rest and play. For Ron & Co, it is obviously a huge physical and mental challenge. You must be so proud - but quite daunted too.

You are not alone with so many friends around you, where you live and on here. But we do understand that challenge.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Hezza

Thanks all :cheerleader3:

I've had a lovely Sunday. Made a huge vat of soup this morning, did some housework and then spent the afternoon napping & chilling. Very weird to think that as I type this the boys, and the rest of the group, are taking their first steps across the desert!

Back to work tomorrow so that will keep me occupied I'm sure.

Hezza

How exciting! Just had a surprise phone call from the man himself :cheerleader3:

Could hear the wind whistling around him...when asked where he was the response (pretty predictably) was "literally in the middle of the desert" :drinkbar: They'd been walking for about 2.5 hours.

Have a good evening all :lolbash:

Kazzy

Hi Cara

Good for Ron and his friend. I hope everything goes well. You must be so proud of them.

Kazzy :cheerleader3:

Gem_says_keep_smyelin!

Hi Cara your hubby is amazing! bless him :cheerleader3:

Hope you're not too lonely hun we're all here for you!

Gem xxx

Lindyloo

:cheerleader3::cheerleader3: Well done to Ron and friends.... :you-rock::you-rock:

Cara hope you are ok and your Pooches are being good and giving you lots and lots of hugs...

'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'

Thinking of you

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Michelle

How cool that must have been. I mean, it's not everyday that you get a call from the desert :cheerleader3:

Michelle :cheerleader3:

Hezza

Thanks all :you-rock: .

Yes Mish it was very surreal - I was sat there with a big stupid :cheerleader3:on my face because I really hadn't expected it to be him on the phone thinking "Wow I'm talking to you and you're in the desert!" :you-rock:

He still had a little bit of signal yesterday lunchtime so managed to get a text off to me then too though he's warned me that it's probably the last until Saturday evening when they get back to the hotel :cheerleader3:

goonasi

Hi Cara

Really nice to read about such a great challenge and wish Ron & Co all the best.

Simon

[b]Keep Well
Simon x[/b]

Gaynor

Hope you're doin ok Cara and managin fine in work today x The rest of this week will fly by for you now :cheerleader3:

Gaynor

Hezza

I'm fine thanks Gaynor. Finished work for the day and now going to have a rest before going for dinner with some friends later on.

C xx

Gaynor

Oh good. I sadly am not having a great day so far. Jammed an important document in the shredder, which my friend and I can only retrieve half (arghhh!) and now have plasters on our fingers as a result of trying to get the damn thing apart. The laminator's a write off and so am sure Tim will be happy about that (oops).

So that along with my 3hrs sleep last night has put me in a great mood as you can imagine.

Still, nevermind....I shall go and try and get a new car pass tomorrow. A new shredder can wait.

Gaynor

Hezza

Oh what a pain Gaynor! I hate shredders with a passion...ours is always jamming. I hope you've spent the rest of the day resting!

The weather has turned horrific here so I'm glad I'm not driving this evening. Doesn't inspire me to go out at all but I'm sure once I'm sat with the girls having a gossip it'll be fine. Am glad I don't have to go into the office tomorrow - need to stay home to wait for the washing machine repair man :cheerleader3:

Hezza

:cheerleader3: YAY! :wink:

Just had an unexpected call. The boys are fine - they have reached halfway now after a 5:30am start to watch a spectacular sunrise. No more updates until the weekend as they were in the last bit of desert where they'd get mobile phone signals.

I'm really tired today and it has given me such a lift to speak to Ron :blush3:

Gaynor - hoping you had a better night last night & are having a better day today?

Michelle

:wink: I can imagine you picking up the phone expecting it to be someone else, and then there's Ron saying "hello" :cheerleader3: How's he coping with the heat?

M x

Hezza

:cheerleader3: You're so right Mish! When my phone showed "Unknown Number" I thought it was the washing machine repair man :wink:

When Ron said Hello I got ridiculously excited - am still smiling now :blush3:

He seems to be coping just fine with the heat. I asked if it was tough and he said not too bad so far. They walk a few hours in the morning, rest up and have lunch during the hottest part of the day and then walk again for a few hours in the afternoon. They're doing 6 - 7 hours walking a day & will cover just over 100Km.

Michelle

It's like extreme dreams. I'm glad it's them and not me in that enviroment. Bless!

Hezza

:wink: They've done it :welcome:

Had a call from Ron. They are back at the hotel with a couple of hours to relax before a celebratory dinner and a 3am airport transfer.

He says it was an amazing experience and that they are now planning to do Kilimanjaro in 2011!! All in there were 29 people trekking - 12 or 14 charities covered I think he said. Of the 29 there were 13 people trekking for the MS Trust.

Will post a link to pictures / videos when they're available.

Thank you all for being there for me this week :you-rock: ...I have missed Ron hugely and cannot wait to get him from the airport tomorrow afternoon :eep: