The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Susie

Moving Emoticons!

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Susie

Hello All

I logged into the site from work today and imagine my surprise when all the emoticons moved! They don't on my home computer and now I feel deprived.

Any idea why my home computer has only static emoticons?

Gosh, the things you don't know you're missing.... :cheerleader: (does this move? what could it be doing?)

Cheerie bye

Susie

ddgorgeous

Susie,

It will be to do with some code and something being disabled. I had it on one pc ages ago, but cannot remembr what I did to make the emotions work again. (Marina will probably know).

Do you have antivirus software running on you home pc? sometimes the antivirus software switches a lot of things off to protect the pc, it might be to do with that.

Your emotion of rain with an umbrella is moving and it is raining, but the smilie is nice and dry under the brolly.

Take care and best wishes,

Ron :cheerleader:

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

Javascript. You need to have Javascript enabled for the emoticon pop-up to pop-up. If you're seeing the pop-up and emoticons but none of the emoticons are animated (moving), then it's not a Javascript issue.

If you're seeing the box on the left with static non-animated smilies, then there's definitely some setting gone wrong there. As Ron said, it could you be your anti-virus. It could also be your firewall. Some firewalls have settings to stop animated images.

What firewall do you use?

What browser do you use? Internet Explorer? Firefox? Opera? Netscape? Something else? Some of these have features to stop animated from "moving".

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Susie

Hi Marina and Ron!

Thanks for the info- I think it is probably my firewall- I use ZoneAlarm. Oh well- I'll just have to log in at work to the get most from the moving icons! (Now an excuse to do even less work!)

Hope you are both well!

Kind regards

Susie

Sluggish
Marina

Susie

There should be a setting in ZoneAlarm somewhere, it might be under "Ad blocks" or something similar for blocking flash or animated ads. I don't use ZA, so I can't tell you exactly where to look. Once you find it, all you have to do is to set it to allow these kind of images/ads.

If you're using Internet Explorer, there is one thing you can check if it's not your firewall. Go to your Control Panel and click Internet Explorer Options. When the new window opens, go to the "Advanced tab". Scroll down till you see "Multimedia". Now look for a line that says "Play animations in web pages". Is there a tick next to it? If there isn't, then this is where your problem is. Put a tick in it, then click OK etc to come out of it all and try again. If the tick was already there, then ignore it all and click "Cancel", and it's then your firewall that's the problem with some similar setting.

Hope this makes sense and helps, and Good luck!

Marina

crispy

Hi Susie, :cheerleader:

I can't offer you a solution to your smilies problem, but I too use Zone Alarm and have no problem. I don't think that would be the problem unless you have changed lots of the default settings.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll let you know.

All the best,

................................ :dog: ........................................

All the best,

Chris P

Sluggish
Marina

Crispy

As you use ZA, would you know where the setting for ads or images is?

I use Agnitum Outpost when I'm not behind my NAT router, and it has a setting that disables animations... which is set by default I think. I had to unset them all, or I'd have seen zilch on a webpage :cheerleader:

Marina

ddgorgeous

Susie,

I have just noticed this, it makes me think that there must be something switched off to prevent it from happening.

On the front page of this forum at the very bottom of the page in the 'Board Statistics' there is an area that says 'Members Online Today' and everyone who has visted today will be shown. If your mouse is moved over a person, the time they last visited the homepage will be shown in a small screen tip that will appear.

Above that, but still within the 'Board Statistics' area there is another area that says 'xxx user(s) active in the last 60 mins'.

Even when your name is shown in the 'Members Online Today' as being active within the last 60 mins, your name does not appear to be shown in the 'xxx user(s) active in the last 60 mins' area like it would normally.

It means that your pc is about to self destruct, taking your house and half the street with it...............you are strongly advised to 'Get The Hell Outa Dodge' now making sure your buildings insurance is up to date and there will be provision for somewhere alternative to stay for a while!

Take care and best wishes,

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

Ron, who do you see as the "active users"? I see me, you and Crsipy (and Googlebot). Bear in mind though, the time at which I've looked.

Marina

ddgorgeous

Marina,

I am seeing You and Me just now at 13.01.

Crispy was online and here just a few mins ago, so it did show him as being active, but it is not showjing him as active within the last 60 mins now.

Maybe it is me who should be checkign the buildings insurance!

ppms, dx 2001

ddgorgeous

Marina,

This is what I am seeing at 13.08

4 user(s) active in the past 60 minutes

2 guests, 2 members 0 anonymous members

ddgorgeous, GoogleBot, Marina

Show detailed by: Last Click, Member Name

Members Online Today: 9

Most members ever online in one day was 23, last accomplished on May 31st, 2005.

The following members have visited today:

crispy, ddgorgeous, Hils, Lula_lulabel, Marina, petac, stranding, Susie, Wnella

[ Hide List ]

ppms, dx 2001

Sluggish
Marina

I think you're right about the buildings insurance, me too, :cheerleader:

The "active user" stat is set by default to 15 mins, and I tend to see it as such on most other forums. Maybe my changing to 60 mins was a bit much and the system then glitches because of it?

Any further thoughts?

Marina