The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
tedhutchinson

Vitamin D Levels Correspond to Disability in MS

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

tedhutchinson

Vitamin D Levels Correspond to Disability in MS

They found that for every 10-ng/mL increase in 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels, subsequent EDSS (Expanded Disability Status Scale) scores were 0.05 points lower, and subsequent normalized gray matter volume was 7 cc higher
Based on the results and a growing body of literature suggesting a role for vitamin D in MS, lead investigator Dr. Ellen Mowry, an assistant professor of neuroimmunology at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, often supplements her patients to a vitamin D level of 40-60 ng/mL(=100~150nmol/l), which usually takes 2,000-4,000 international units a day.

People who live north of Baltimore may require more. In the UK it is likely to take more than 5000iu/daily. Baltimore is equivalent to Lisbon Portugal or Greece a lot hotter and sunnier than where I live at 52n and Scotland goes from north of 54N to North of 57n.

CityAssays Birmingham NHS Path lab will send a postal 25(OH)D test for £25 UK or £30 for International. IMO as MS is an inflammatory condition and the highest anti-inflammatory action of vit d is found at 125nmol/l or 50ng/ml Up to 10,000iu daily is safe (it's the amount your skin would create if you were able to live naked outdoors)

BigVits or Amazon UK now offer 5000 iu drops/capsules around £12 for a years supply, Almost as cheap as Iherb/Vitacost or other US discount suppliers.

Remembert MS is an inflammatory condition and Vitamin D3 works in conjunction with magnesium and omega 3 (other anti inflammory agents. Magnesium is required to convert the supplemental form to the active form (most people don't get the current low RDA for magnesium) and the Omega 3 DHA also is able to bind with the Vitamin D receptor (it's a vit d receptor ligand) to support the action of D3. So it makes sense to increase magnesium and omega 3 alongside the Vit d intake.

The other anti inflammatory agent most people lack is MELATONIN, Human DNA is set to create Vit d in skin from DAWN to DUSK and from DUSK to DAWN our pineal glands should be producing melatonin.

Edited by tedhutchinson

Sleepy
Scully

That's really interesting stuff, thank you for posting the information for us.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

tedhutchinson

The same research team has done other work. In this paper they report on MRI scans showing the impact of vit d status on development of new T2 lesions

Vitamin D status predicts new brain MRI activity in multiple sclerosis

Abstract

Objective:

We sought to determine if vitamin D status is associated with developing new T2 lesions or contrast-enhancing lesions on brain MRI in relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS).

Methods:

EPIC is a five-year longitudinal MS cohort study at the University of California, San Francisco. Participants had clinical evaluations, brain MRI, and blood draws annually. From the overall cohort, we evaluated patients with clinically isolated syndrome or relapsing-remitting MS at baseline. In univariate and multivariate (adjusted for age, sex, ethnicity, smoking, and MS treatments) repeated measures analyses, annual 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were evaluated for their association with subsequent new T2-weighted and gadolinium-enhancing T1-weighted lesions on brain MRI, clinical relapses, and disability (Expanded Disability Status Scale [ EDSS]).

Results:

2,362 3T brain MRI scans were acquired from 469 subjects. In multivariate analyses, each 10 ng/mL higher 25-hydroxyvitamin D was associated with a 15% lower risk of a new T2 lesion (incidence rate ratio [iRR]= 0.85, 95% CI [0.76, 0.95], p=0.004) and a 32% lower risk of a gadolinium-enhancing lesion (IRR=0.68, 95% CI [0.53, 0.87], p=0.002). Each 10 ng/mL higher vitamin D level was associated with lower subsequent disability (-0.047, 95% CI [-0.091, -0.003], p=0.037). Higher vitamin D levels were associated with lower, but not statistically significant, relapse risk. Except for the EDSS model, all associations were stronger when the within-person change in vitamin D level was the predictor.

Interpretation:

Vitamin D levels are inversely associated with MS activity on brain MRI. These results provide further support for a randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation. ANN NEUROL 2010

Slugger

Thanks for the info Ted interesting.

If it delays progression thats a good thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Dx with low vitamin D

Well, yes, it's winter and I live in the North where it's colder than most of the rest of the country.   Walking the dog I have to cover up, usually bar my hands and face.  Out shopping, ditto.  Feather filled long coat with hood and deep pockets is my new winter coat and I love it.     Gp has given me a supply with a message to fend for myself after - I have D3 in now.  The capsules she's given me are 20,0000 unit each 2 to be taken once a week - I must be really low.     I don't drink a lot of milk, only at weekends do I have a jug with a large pot of decaf coffee both days in the morning.  I eat cheese but not every week.  I eat almonds, and leafy veg, but my nails are rubbish and always have been.    This might have been going on for some time.     Last blood test I had was 15 years ago and in summer.  Vit D probably sky high from me being in the garden all the time.     Should I ask for a review after, say six months to see if the Vit D is sticking?  I know it does not for some.          

in General Discussion about MS

• Expanded disability status scale (EDSS)

Hi   I'm new here and sorry to ask a potentially stupid question. My wife was recently diagnosed with RRMS. As part of the work up her EDSS has been recorded in the notes and in letters. Because of her fatigue she rarely can manage 500m walking. There are some concentration issues and word finding issues which worsen with fatigue. Here swallow is ok most of the time but she cannot manage red meats without care. When we questioned the score given (0) we were told it is correct as fatigue isnt taken into account. Is this right, it seems bonkers to me?   Thanks in advance

• Stress levels

Is it normal for MS to make usually unflappable people into screaming panickers? Five years ago I was a professional person juggling all sorts of crises. But now, the smallest changes in plans leave me angry, annoyed and miserable. Why?? With my sensible head on I know cars break down, it rains occasionally , my favourite TV is cancelled. But, New loony head just can't cope...

• Vitamin D link to MS

Also from my local MS Society Group Newsletter   Vitamin D link to MS   The link between vitamin D and MS has been an area of interest for years. Now new research published in August has brought us a step closer to understanding the connection. Researchers in Canada suggest that people who have low vitamin D levels because of particular genes are also more likely to develop MS.   The team used information from two large genetic studies involving over 70,000 people. They found four variations within their genes that are closely linked to vitamin D levels, and then looked to see if these four variations were more common in people with MS. The results showed that people with these variations (who are prone to having low vitamin D levels) were at a higher risk of developing MS. This highlights a new genetic link between vitamin D and MS, bringing us closer to understanding how important vitamin D is in MS. What we don’t yet know is the potential benefits of vitamin D supplementation on reducing the chance of developing MS or as a disease modifying treatment.   You can read more about this new research on the MS Society website. https://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-research/emerging-areas/vitamin-d   Scully  

• Channel 4: Are you a dog lover? Do you have a challenging condition or disability?

RESCUE DOGS TO SUPER DOGS Are You a Dog Lover? Do you have a challenging condition or disability? Could you give a rescue dog a permanent home? Have you ever considered that a dog could transform your life? We Need You!   This primetime Channel 4 series will see abandoned dogs trained to become high functioning super-pets, able to enrich the lives of people in need.   Rescue Dogs to Super Dogs will pair homeless dogs with people who have a physical, psychological or neurological disability or condition. With the help of expert dog trainers these dogs will not only find a home and a purpose but will change their new owner’s lives for the better. Hundreds of dogs are abandoned in the UK every day, but with the right home and the right training they could change your life.   If you are interested in finding out more about this potentially life changing opportunity then please get in touch by calling: 0117 3072307 / 0117 3072328 or email: casting3@plimsollproductions.com       Calls to this number will be charged at your local rate, mobiles may vary. Plimsoll Productions will use any information provided by you only for the purposes of selecting participants for the programme and will only share information with the broadcaster and any independent contractors involved in the programme. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to answer all applicants individually.

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.