The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Lizbeth0612

Worried about MRI results MS?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Lizbeth0612

Hello I recently had an MRI abroad after an episode of chronic vertigo. I'm 54 and have had vertigo off and on for more than five years. Over the last year I have had a worsening tremor in my right hand and some weakness. I have also had awful fatigue.

The report states there is multiple millimetric non-specific ischemic gliotic lesions in both hemispheric white matter. I have now been referred to a neurologist in the uk an waiting for appointment but very anxious and not feeling too well.

can anyone tell me what the MRI findings might mean? Thank you

lala

Hi I'm afraid I can't decipher the jargon for you. If you are really anxious about things it might be an idea to speak to your GP. They might to be able to shed done light on the results for you? They also might be able to give you something to help ease the vertigo, which from experience I know is really unpleasant. Hope your appointment comes through quickly for you. Good luck.

Lala

Sleepy
Scully

Hello ! And welcome to the MS People Forum.

We are none of us neurologists here ( I don't think ), but with MS, often a report mentions 'consistent with demylenation' which is the destruction of the myelin sheath, a sort of insulation that covers the nerves in the brain.

Ischemic lesions are found as we age. I was told you can have one ischemic lesion for each decade of your life, but I'm sure there ar other causes too.

I would agree, you either need to speak to your GP or your neurologist, and hopefully you have copies of the images that you can take along with you. Only a Neurologist can diagnose exactly what these changes mean.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nick

Hi Liz, here goes I will do my best to describe things.

'Non specific' indicates that the results don't point to any specific condition. The 'Lesions' are scars left on the 'myelin' where the body has repaired itself. There are many different medical reasons and conditions where damage can occur. The proper interpretation and understanding of these is where a neurologist comes in.

In MS these scars are known as 'plaques' The word 'gliotic' refers to the change in the glial cells when they get damaged . Ishemic is a reference to restricted blood flow.

In MS these 'white lesions' or plaques are caused where the body first attacks the myelin sheath and then repairs itself. See this link:

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/aboutms/whatisms.jsp

The way MS is sometimes described is by imagining the brain is made up of lots of interconnected 'wires' The brains messages need to pass without interference along these wires.

As in an electric cable the outside is insulated , In the brain the 'insulation' is the myelin. Damage to this and then the repair (plaques) mean that the messages get broken up or even stopped. The amazing thing is that the body does repair itself and can find new routes to overcome damaged areas. This accounts for the huge differences in peoples 'experience' of MS!

It can have only a slightly limiting effect on your life or it can be more serious. The need to understand your own position can only come about with a formal diagnosis of what is actually wrong and then (in the case of MS) in learning about your specific condition and what it means to you.

This is a time to try and avoid stress and worry (I know I know! Very hard) Concentrate on that first and wait and see what the Neurologist has to say.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Hezza

Hi Lizbeth and :welcome: to the forum,

I'm not surprised that you are anxious. A Neurologist really is the right person to decipher that report for you. While you wait for the appointment to come through it might be worth seeing your GP (if you haven't already). While they may not be able to tell you exactly what it means they might be able to answer a little or make contact with the local Neurology department and ask for some clarification. If things are worsening then make sure your GP is aware of that too - they may be able to offer some help.

I know the waiting doesn't help but try not to worry too much, that in itself will make you feel worse. The Neurology referral is the next step so you are on the path to getting answers. Do bear in mind if you're searching online that not all internet sources are reliable so don't believe all you read.

I hope you'll find the forum helpful while you wait for your appointment to arrive.

:hearts:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Lizbeth0612

Thank you for your replies Lala, Scully, Nick and Hezza. My appointment with neurologist has come through for mid June, which right now seems an age away. trying not to worry but not feeling good. Dr gave Cinnarzine for dizziness which knocks me out for a bit but I feel as though I'm in a 'fug' all the time. Today I feel as if my brain has swelled in my head - no pain, just pressure.

your replies and advice have helped put my mind at rest about it being ms though. I had read a bit too much on the web, put two and two together and come up with MS but it seems that the words "non-specific" relating to the lesions mean its something else less scary.

x

• Like 2

Nick

Hi Liz,

We have all done it! Reading technical medical things on the web is not a good idea. Mid June is only a month away and you also have your GP to go to if you feel worried about any symptoms. As has been said by several people conditions such as MS need to avoid stress, this is also very good advice generally. So give yourself some 'room' don't overdo anything and try and put all these 'what ifs' to one side. All this will help a good deal.

Take Care

Nick

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........