The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Gosport Nancy

What's Going On In Your Garden?

44 posts in this topic Last Reply

Busy
Gosport Nancy

Just found this thread again. Took some pics yesterday. I getting ready for No Mow May so it's wild flowers for me

None of my files will upload to this forum so you will have to guess what my garden looks lik

Sluggish
Marina

@Gosport Nancy  A couple of questions about the problem with uploading photos...

- How, or by which method, did you try to upload them?

- What size were they? It's possible they were too big (in MBs) and that I need to change the size limit a bit to something a bit bigger. That said, if each photo was lots of MBs in size, that would be too big... For instance, phones these days tend to take photos that are huge in MB size and many websites or forums can't house photos of that size, which in turn would also take ages to upload and ages to display to visitors.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Busy
Gosport Nancy
1 hour ago, Marina said:

@Gosport Nancy  A couple of questions about the problem with uploading photos...

- How, or by which method, did you try to upload them?

- What size were they? It's possible they were too big (in MBs) and that I need to change the size limit a bit to something a bit bigger. That said, if each photo was lots of MBs in size, that would be too big... For instance, phones these days tend to take photos that are huge in MB size and many websites or forums can't house photos of that size, which in turn would also take ages to upload and ages to display to visitors.

Hi there

The only difference I can see ifs that I now have a Windows based laptop and the earlier photos I added here were from when I used a Chromebook. I uploaded the photos the exact some way from my laptop. 

I am using the Chrome browser and can upload photos on to social media but several other sites won't accept them

Sluggish
Marina

I can’t imagine why Chrome on Windows should make any difference.

I’d really like to be able to help solve this for you, @Gosport Nancy . I know these simple questions may sound daft, I’d just like to rule them out first:
- The photos are “.jpg/.jpeg” and not “.webP” or “.heif” or some other newer file type that some phones might use?
- Are your photos larger than 500kb (0.5 MB)?

Marina

Procrastinating
Stumbler

My money is on the filesize. Mobiles have such good cameras these days!

:moonieman:

• Like 1

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Balanced
Happymama

Back to the OP, my garden is well behind still. I have a hibiscus - small white flowers with dark red centres - that is flowering still, with buds on. My azalea buds are very small but at least have all winter and some of spring to get on with it.  My potted plants are still flowering fit to bust, but first frost will bring them in so they survive over winter in the conservatory as well as the olive which has grown LOADS this year. No plums from either tree, no strawberries even though I watered them fit to bust.

Loads of hazels so hazel liqueur for Christmas pressies due.  Already have red gooseberry and blackcurrant vermouth cooking, two bottles and the kids have a blackberry vermouth each for Christmas already sorted.  Some of the medlars are HUGE because it flowered late and it rained a lot while it was flowering.  I get the fruit in, in November after it's bletted and it is pureed with sugar, then frozen. Midwinter I can take it out, add gelatine and use it to top panda cotta, or in ice cream to put on hot apple pie - the taste of summer in the dark days of winter.  

Gosport Nancy, store them on Imgur or some such hosting site, and leave the link on here.  Sorted!  

Busy
Gosport Nancy

@Happymama I shouldn't have to change the way I add images here as it is the tools here that aren't working for me.

I haven't changed my way of uploading images so it is something on this site that doesn't work for me.

My photos are hosted on  Amazon. This is what my garden looks like now after I had to have it cleared on the request of my local housing department.

http://968 2999 2513  this is the direct link to my photo but it just brings me back here.

It actually takes me many times as long to add a link compared to uploading straight from my laptop. I am already fatigued from being so unwell so this is something else to drain my limited energy

Edited by Gosport Nancy

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Any further comments about uploading images, @Marina?

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Sluggish
Marina

It’s a bit difficult to troubleshoot without having more details, I’m afraid.

Also, the direct link to the photo won’t work as it’s not a proper URL (link) of any kind.

Entering a link to another website should be as simple as copying and pasting it - as long as it has the “http” or “https” part of at the beginning. It may be slow at first to show but it will eventually show as a clickable link. If I should see that a link’s not showing properly, I would try to edit it to make it work as, being “admin”, I can edit any post.

Basically, to upload an image one needs to do as described in the post/reply box: “Drag files here to attach, or choose files.”
- Images need to be on one’s computer to do that, they can’t be “chosen” directly from another website (eg, Amazon).
- If dragging doesn’t work or is difficult, I’ve always found “choosing” works fine.
- Images need to be “.jpg” files.
- Images should not exceed 500kb (0.5 mb) in size. In this day and age of phones taking photos that are huge in MB size, that is a problem for many websites as photos that are so big in MB size take up web space and are slow to download when viewing. Photos need to be reduced in size for the web, which most photo editing apps can do (best to do this as a copy of the original, so’s not to lose the original’s actual size).

@Gosport Nancy, if you prefer not to have to post about this publicly, you can always send me a PM and we’ll try to figure and sort it out that way?

Marina

Busy
Gosport Nancy

@Marina Hi there. I have been posting pictures on this site for a while so if you go back through this thread you will see that I have posted pics here in the past. 

I don't have the tech skills any more to reduce the size of the pics so the site must have changed their requirements for pic size as I have used the same phone to take my pics for several years now. I used to have the tech skills before my health deteriorated but have now forgotten many of the things I used to be able to do.

Thanks for trying to help

Just to add that I have also tried to add pics I previously posted and they won't work either.

Edited by Gosport Nancy
added note

Sluggish
Marina

@Gosport Nancy It may not work with previously posted photos as the system may recognise that they’ve already been posted. If you click on the small “Insert other media” button to the right of “Drag files here to attach, etc”, there’s an option to “Insert existing attachment”. You can also find all the photos you’ve posted before by going to your name at the top of any page, and choosing “My attachments” from the drop-down list.

I don’t know anything about Amazon Photos, but I’d have thought they must have a feature to allow you to share or send a link to your photo(s). If you can create a link to your photo(s) - that can be publicly accessed in a browser, eg, something like “https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/.....” - and send me the link(s) via PM, I’d be happy to try to post them for you.

Marina

Busy
Gosport Nancy

Busy
Gosport Nancy

The above were some of only 8 previous attachments

Thanks for your offer. I have decided to move on from working out how to add new pics. I'm happy to post on other threads where I don't need to add pics

• Like 1

Sluggish
Marina

You’re more than welcome! And I understand about your decision to move on from attachments.

I’m glad, though, you were at least able to find how to re-post your previous photos (not that it was necessary in this instance).

• Like 1

Marina

Balanced
Happymama

@Gosport Nancy Lovely pictures!  

I don't have any flowers in the garden now, bar the Rambling Rector which is having a late go but that's not unusual, I've known flowers on that leviathan in December.  I've brought the geraniums and olive and some bedding plants I planted in spring which didn't do anything for ages in, and will tomorrow replant the now potbound seedings into troughs for the outside table in the summer. They smell amazing do those flowers.  

Busy
Gosport Nancy

sCXV_-ksSBSJXMPv4dP6RQ.jpg

• Like 2

Balanced
Happymama

My geraniums are still flowering fit to bust, with new growth coming on, in the Conservatory.  Last year's seedlings, still seedlings (such was last year's summer here) are finally growing as well, as are my potted herbs.  The olive lost a few leaves but I did let it get too dry, it has buds on now.  

In the garden, someone's mid way through coppicing the hazel.  The trunks (three) will go to a wood carver, the branches to the man who's doing it for free, and the rest of it, through his shredder for ground cover.  

I need to get veg seedlings going, this weekend's job off to B&Q for other stuff so will get some coir seed trays there.  I don't plant the coir though, I pull them out because the roots find it hard to get through the coir.  Then I just compost it.

Busy
Gosport Nancy

I'm loving all the replies about your gardens

Since I have lost the ability to walk on grass, I have had to pay someone to keep the garden tidy for me.

I'll add a pic of the daffodils when they appear, as my assistant planted some for me late autumn last year 

• Like 1

Balanced
Happymama

Have trays for seedlings now and some seed compost, just arrived this week in B&Q.  The hazel is now coppiced, the front garden is full of it's branches. The chap is coming tomorrow to shred all the lighter bits for his garden, chop the trunks up for me for the BBQ and that will be it.  Done.  

I have seeds from last year (and the year before) but I know some will germinate so will plant too many and see what comes up.  I have some little cucumbers that taste of lemon that I want to try.  I'll use an old grow bag with some miraclegro mixed in and this time put them on the grass so they get proper sun.  

This is the last year for the porch to grow tomatoes in because when I start my degree in September I shall get the metal framed sliding door replaced with patio doors that are triple glazed with the first maintenance payment (i'll get both bits) and get rid of the derelict porch and redo the decking which is the wrong way up and rotten.  

My potted geraniums flowered all winter!  I've put the non flowering ones out where they'll get sun, their pot is large so frost won't affect it too much.  The small ones that hang on the fence, flowering fit to bust, will stay indoors till it's a bit warmer out there.  The Camellia only has two buds left, which is what survived last year.  Had loads on before Christmas.  

My photinia red robin is covered in new bright red growth.  The victoria plum is flowering two months too early, April/May it should flower. I never get fruit from it now. Global Warming has confused it very much. We used to get wind from the West (and the rain scraped off on the Pennines) but now more and more it comes from the south carrying warmth and a lot of rain.  

• Like 1