The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Happymama

Menopause or brain fog?

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Balanced
Happymama

HI all.  

Thursday is shopping day (to coincide with Aldi's special buy day - been very fruitful, now have a plate warmer I've always wanted, and battle ropes for £15!!!)

Went shopping, got there ok.  Started walking away from the car without the shopping bags, turned back.  Then realised I had no £1 for the trolley so set off into town to get cash out (which would start my new card so I can use it online. I've been wondering why it wouldn't work, and realised then!) and went to a charity shop to find something to cash the £10 into smaller bits.  Found a great top, and a dish great for summer garden lunches, and two nice keyrings for Christmas presents.  Got a £2 for change.  Asked if she could change it - no, can't open the till now.  I went to a different one and found a lovely little teddy for the stairs, they were on three for £1 but I didn't want three, just one, so got the one for £1.

Then found another £1 in my purse ....

Went back and got the trolley. Was half way round when I realised I'd left my shopping bags on top of the trolleys outside.  

Went to fetch them.  Did the shopping, went through the tills, and then, facing the screen to put my numberplate info in, for free parking, forgot my numberplate.  Totally.  

Back at the car (I had gone out to get the number, photographed it) I tried to put the house key in the ignition.  

Driving home I sailed through two traffic lights on amber turning to red, which is very unlike me.  I just didn't notice the flashing light!  

I'm on the back of an apparent relapse, (and sluggish innards are here again) and they are now coming thick and fast. Used to have one every 18m or so, now it's four in the last 12 months.  Might have to ring the GP and try again.  Covid got in the way last time.  

I do eat well, loads of veggies.  I intermittent fast too, 18/6 and am watching the calories as well.  Lost a stone and a half over the last year - I had 5 stones of peri-menopausal weight gain - and my hair suddenly started falling out but that is easing out.  

I want my hormones back!  They might not help with my apparent cognitive collapse but might with my dry skin, sleep issues, libido etc.  

I'm not leaving the house again today.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

A day in the life of.........,eh, @Happymama ?

I'm no expert in menopausal issues, how could I be? And, I'm not medical in the slightest. But, I do feel that you should try and discuss what's going on with your Doctor. There may be a case for starting HRT or some other related treatment to address these symptoms.

I'm sure you could do without hot flushes, especially the way that temperature fluctuations can effect our MS symptoms!

And libido? What's one of those? Are they available at Aldi too?

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Oh, and well done on the weight.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Balanced
Happymama

Heat doesn't make my symptoms worse.   I get the odd hot flush but they are short and quickly over.  

Further to the disorganisation of my day, I've just made my afternoon pot of tea.  it's peppermint and ALWAYS but ALWAYS is berry in the afternoons.  I only realised half way down the first cup.  

I think I might go back to bed ....   

Procrastinating
Stumbler
3 minutes ago, Happymama said:

I think I might go back to bed ...

What, to check if you've left your libido there?

• Funny HaHa 1

Sluggish
Marina

I'm a great advocate of HRT, so it wouldn't be surprising that I'd agree with John about asking about it. Also, it's said it might be neuroprotective. This link about Menopause and MS, with references to HRT, might be of interest:

GAVINGIOVANNONI.SUBSTACK.COM

Dealing with menopause is hard enough without having MS. In this Newsletter Prof G goes through the pros and cons of HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for managing menopause in...

Edited by Marina
Fixed the link to be clickable

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Balanced
Happymama

Read it and very interesting.  Thanks.  I don't hold out a lot of hope with the Gp though.  I've been hearing horror stories with not getting appointments, you have to go through the Gorgon at the desk first.  What's wrong with a patient is nothing to do with her, and ringing is never answered, it just rings out.  

I need to get my bp done first, they keep sending texts.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , the gorgon is now seen as Triage rather than a Receptionist. They're doing their best to try and make it easier for everybody. So persevere and be polite with a big smile - it works wonders.

I find it easier to use eConsult (Clicky Bit) to communicate directly with a GP. If they feel an appointment is necessary, they'll find one for you.

Sluggish
Marina

I don’t often phone my GP surgery but I’ve tried several times recently and each time it’s either been because they’re shut for training, they’re shut between X and X hour, the automated system abruptly hangs up because their lines are (supposedly) busy. So I can’t even get through to the Gorgon! :angry2:

I tried that eConsult site, but my surgery’s nowhere to be found on it...  I guess it only works if a surgery’s signed up to it? Each surgery seems to use a different system with some better than others, although that eConsult site looks a bit different and a good idea.

Marina

Procrastinating
Stumbler

It's wise to check to see if your Surgery has a website. This may provide details of ways to get in touch beyond the telephone.

Sluggish
Marina

I do check my surgery's website, it's a waste of time. Their latest news goes back at least a year, there's not even a dickie bird about how to get this year's flu or Covid jabs. Their only suggestion is to use the NHS app for booking appointments. I don't necessarily need an appointment, I just want to ask about something. It's not that important at the moment, so they can stuff themselves for now. At other times, I phone the pharmacy attached to the surgery, where they're super helpful (thank goodness!) but this isn't something they can help with.

Marina

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Marina , I usually call the Surgery and ask for the Duty Doctor to give me a call if it's urgent. A quick phonecall with the Doctor usually covers it.

Sluggish
Marina

That's the point, John. As I said earlier, I can't even get through to the surgery...

Marina

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Marina, are you able to physically turn up there? It may save that annoying "dodge the engaged tone" game! 

Sluggish
Marina

Yes, I can get there, but as there's no urgency it can wait for now :flowerface:. It's just annoying trying to phone.

Marina

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Marina , believe me, I do understand the frustration associated with trying to contact a Doctor when you're feeling a few degrees under.......

• Thanks 1

Balanced
Happymama

Hi folks.  I've had five relapses this year, since 2009, one or two every 18 m to 2 yrs.  

Now have sluggish innards again after the last relapse.  

I'll ring the GP on Monday but I don't hold a lot of hope.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Happymama , as you're probably only too aware, Monday morning is their busiest day.............

Balanced
Happymama

It's finished, thank goodness.  

I've started a new job and the training at the beginning is absolutely mental.  15 emails in the first day with things to do.  Online stuff about equipment I don't have, and info about processes I can't get to because my VPN doesn't work.  We did get it sorted, after a week and now I am in a better place with it but:  well, my left leg again.  

Had pain in the bottom of my glute yesterday, now it's spread to my quads on the L/h side and it hurts to walk.

I've taken a job with Ipsos Mori.  After 32 job apps in a year, this is the only one I've been accepted for. Walking.  A lot.  

OMG.  

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hope the new job suits you, @Happymama .

Balanced
Happymama

Not so sure about it, the week long stress over the training has just turned into more training, and a teams, plus another teams and my left glute outer half is still in spasm with some odd feelings down the leg.  

Was fit as a butcher's dog this time last week.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Just turn up and do what they are paying you to do. Nothing more, nothing less. It's easier said than done, but don't let a job stress you out.

Jobs are just a means to an end, a way of putting money in your pocket to have a choice in life.

Balanced
Happymama

Yeah, but this one is knocking on doors asking people to do half hour surveys on the doorstop.  18 hrs, 3-4 evenings and one weekend day each week, In Winter.  Paid per survey.   Some job.  All I could get.  Sad.

Next year I'm on two days of the week at uni so the job might have to just stop. We'll see in April, pension going up by 8% but the economy is recovering so it's a pay rise, like the last one of 10%.  Still on UC till earnings rise over £350 a week. Am being careful not to let it.  The benefits on UC aren't great but there are loads of Government gifts available to me, including £150 into my energy account,  and free eye test (new varifocal lenses, eye test and 30 contact lenses in new prescription £43!  Only paid for the contacts and a bit of the lenses.  

Right now my left glute is in painful spasm.  I think the stress of last week may have launched the 6th relapse.  

I am paid £12 an hour for the training and every teams meeting I have, plus online assessments.  It all helps.  Working next week.  Then at least three weeks in Jan.  

Just made 24 sausage rolls, 12 cheese and 12 cheese & pickle.  Quality test says they are nice.  For last Uni of the year on Tues, but cooked on the  cheap rate till four today from BG.  Had to buy a dehumidifier, so much rain, twice as much as normal, means everything in the house is WET.  Am drying washing in the kitchen with a fan on the radiator blowing into my Dry-Soon with one side rolled up, and it's switched on.  Dehumidifier is going flat out.