The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Michelle

Mind Healing Body?

41 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jayneanne

The power of the mind is incredible and will often baffle the medical profession with an oposing outcome to diagnosis......

For example

I have a very dear girlfriend in England who is married with a 6 year old son.

In the space of 1 week, when her baby was less than a year old, she was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer which was in the breast, liver and spine, and given between 9-12 weeks to live.

Her words were to the effect, "I am recently married and have a young baby and I am not going anywhere, whatever you say"

Suffice to say, against all the odds she is still with us. The cancer has mysteriously shrunk and she is living the life of riley on her payout from her critical illness lie insurance and utilising every support available from the state as she is "Terminally ill"

We always laugh as she appears to be the most healthy terminally ill person we know.

She flatly refuses to die, until she feels ready.

She's done pretty well so far and she frequently talks to other cancer patients to encourage positivity in them to aid recovery

According to her, it is pure bloodymindedness and she will not be told what she will do or not do -GOOD ON HER

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Vegged Out
Shirl

Working fine now so have edited my negative response!

My meditation centres on the One and Only and it always calms me just to remember who's in charge around my life.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

mayb

I loved this bit in that link MB

Relaxation methods These methods, such as meditation and guided imagery, are appropriate for those who feel relaxed when they are actually relaxing.

:juggler: Count me out on that one then!

Mayb

Michelle

I have resurrected this thread :lolbash: I have been having absent moments, which the neuro believes is down to epilepsy. Another feather in my cap. :hearts: Over the last few days I have had to dig deep, into what I call my emotional reserves. I guess I was looking for an anchor;something,someone, to sail me through the latest of my stormy seas. I'm starting to feel a little steadier;if you like i'm finding my sea legs again and feeling much happier.

To help me sleep at night I have been rubbing 'Deep Sleep' peaceful body moisturiser from Body Shop into my tired achy body. Andrew's not fussed on the smell,but I find it very calming indeed. I have to stress that it doesn't send me to sleep :dunno: it's just a relaxing cream that helps you get into that sleep state of mind.

Regards

Michelle :hearts:

linds

Hi Michelle,

I go into funny stares.Is this what you mean? It is so difficult to explain Linds

Lindsx

mayb

Hi mich that body rub sounds just the thing and I for one would give it a go. Do you ever find yourself gritting your teeth or squeezing your hands together when you are trying to get off to sleep? When I give myself a mental check at times, when I am not drifting off the way I wish I could, I realise that I am totally tensed up and my neck and shoulders are totally rigid. I have been taught to relax my body and mind but somehow my body and mind are not listening at the moment and I find it hard to get off the ground. This rub sounds like it would help a lot to get relaxed enough to start the process.

It is good to hear you are feeling better now - if only someone would come up with a cure all for the 'emotional ills' we all suffer from from time to time. The constant buffeting by life can become overwhelming now and then and it takes time to recapture an optimistic and positive approach to life.

Neurontin/gabapentin is given to help people with epilepsy avoid having 'fits', so perhaps nothing much will change in the way you are being treated as this is part of the ms spectrum of drugs. I do think it might be worth checking some of the medications you are on with your doctor mich, as so many have side effects that mimic the problems we are taking them to avoid! Perhaps a change in these would actually reduce these epileptic type experiences. My son experienced some of these problems and was investigated for epilepsy - however he was found to be perfectly normal and these sessions were put down to a possible learned response triggered by an incident which happened just before the first one. Finally they decided it was probably caused by aspartame in food and drinks which 'shocked' his system into reacting this way. We cut that out and the problem went away.

Dare I suggest chocolate as a way of reinforcing those emotional reserves?

Mayb

Michelle

Of course you can suggest chocolate. Although I can't eat too much,fear my weight will hit an all time high :dunno:

I tend to find that my neck and shoulders aren't as relaxed as they should be. Unless I put myself through that mental check, I'm not aware that I'm so tense.

As for the fits; I'm not aware that I'm having one. It's Andrew that noticed. I just stare into space, and do not respond to communication of any kind. Thankfully,these spells don't last that long. As I'm already on the max dose for Pregabalin, I don't have any idea how they will proceed if it turns out to be epilepsy. I'm not that concerned about this, as my eldest has suffered with it for years,and I already have an understanding of the impact that it as on one.

Linds

Are you aware that you are staring?

Michelle :lolbash:

P.S I'm also thinking of enrolling in a Tai Chi classes for the disabled.

linds

Misch,

I am sometimes aware that I am staring but find it hard to pull myself back (hope this is clear to you) Hubby syays I look spaced out sometimes??? Linds

Lindsx

toby

I do a bit of tai chi as part of another class at the gym and really enjoy it, you find your little "zone".

And physically it certainly cant hurt to be doing something.

The mind is stronger than the body anyway.

toby x

mayb

Tai chi is something I would like to do - my mother actually teaches this at a class for people with Parkinsons. I cannot imagine that no matter how hard I try!! :dunno:

My husband was teaching me the katas (spelling?) that he practices every day and tai chi is similar moves slowed right down I think. Anyway I had just got into the first one when my leg stopped working again. I think this would be very good exercise for mind, body and spirit.

Mayb

Sluggish
Marina
I have been having absent moments, which the neuro believes is down to epilepsy. Another feather in my cap.

Oh, Mish, I don't believe it!!! First MS, then Lupus, now epilepsy too??? Makes one wonder what you'll be DX'd with next... sheesh!

I just stare into space, and do not respond to communication of any kind.

Can it not happen with MS too, as part of the "cognitive" symptoms?

Mayb, I thought it was Clonazepam (Rivotril, which I take too) that's primarily for epilepsy rather than Gabapentin, or are all that group of meds primarily for epilepsy?

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

mayb

I haven't read the bit of paper in my latest pills marina but it is usually used for epilepsy according to the first packet I got and actually read through all the info on. I stopped doing that after a while because the list of possible side effects was a bit daunting :dunno: and once committed to taking them it was better to leave that alone.

Mayb

toby

i know its all about information but when you are worried about a treatment/drug that you are going to use it doesnt help when you read that 'little leaflet' and the side effects listed are scarier than the symptons you are trying to get rid off!

toby x

Vegged Out
Shirl

A useful resource to help your mood:

Every day, I have a new inspirational quote delivered to my iGoogle Home Page. It helps. Sometimes I really stop and think; other times, the thought washes over me but always affects me at some level.

Here's the quote today, click on it to read a bigger version at the source website. This has stopped me in my self-centred tracks. Sometimes the downturns of MS take me to a lower mood level than is helpful to me. This is when words can heal.

nature93.jpg

I also set the daily quote as my wallpaper for that day. Again, it helps me focus on the bigger scheme of things at times when my world has shrunk to four walls for a little too long. There is also a link for wallpapers on the site.

NOTE: I am not endorsing any particular faith or belief by pointing you to this resource - the quotes used come from all aspects of the written word and I am certainly not deriving any income from this link - nor is MS People UK. It is just meant to help where such help is sought.

Shirley  "one day at a time"

Sleepy
Scully

THIS TOPIC IS NOW LOCKED YOU CAN NO LONGER REPLY TO THIS TOPIC.

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"