The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Jaime

Diagnoses

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Jaime

Hi,

This is my first post on here...I just wanted to talk about where I am at with my diagnoses and maybe other people have been through or are going through similar experiences. Would be great to hear from you.

MS was first mentioned to me about four weeks ago, when I went to see a Neurologist after my GP referred me because I was having problems with my balance. A year before that, I had optic neuritis and had an MRI scan but was told, other than inflammation of the optic nerve, that all was well. I have been aware of my inability to stand for any length of time for about two years so I went back to my doctor, hence the referral. I arrived thinking he would say I had an ear infection or something...He called me in late for my appointment and said he had just been looking at my scan. He said it showed lots of areas of inflammation. On top of that I have previously had Bells Palsy twice over many years and also at times, a very sensitive bladder. He said he suspects MS but I have been referred for another MRI scan with dye this time and also a lumbar puncture which scares me. I feel frightened, relieved, sad...so many different things. I see my Neurologist again in December/January, feels like the longest wait.

Thank you for listening,

derby42

Hi jaime. Welcome. You do indeed seem really emotional and im not suprised. This is a really difficult time for you and four weeks is no time at all. You just need to work through all those differing emotions. Give yourself time to do so and use this forum as much as you need because theres some amazing people on here who'll help you through this. I feel a bit useless to be honest as its early days for me really too so i dont know what to saw for the best but i saw your post was unanswered so i thought id make a start until someone more useful comes along.

derby x

Dianni

Hi Jamie and :welcome2: to the forum

It's hardly surprising you're feeling a bit confused emotionally at the moment. I think the vst majority of us who have a diagnosis would be able to relate to what you're experiencing :hugs2:

There was no one more frightened of having the lumbar puncture ( LP). I took the very valuable advice offered here and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I took a bottle of 'full fat' cola and drank the whole 2 ltrs in the 2 hours I was laid flat on my back after the procedure. I did as I'd been told and rested completely for 3 days and I had no problems at all.

If you type lumbar puncture into the search box at the top of the page, you'll find lots of tips and reassurance.

If there's anything we can help with, please feel free to ask.

Hugs

Di

xxx

Hezza

Hi Jaime and :welcome:

We have quite a few members who are still going through the diagnosis process and those of us who have been there and made it out the other side know what the waiting and wondering is like. You're in good company here.

I didn't have a Lumbar Puncture ( LP) myself so can't add to Di's advice on that. As has already been said feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

See you around the forum.

:heartraining:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Jaime,

Welcome to the boards and this great group of people who are either, waiting to be diagnosed, have just been diagnosed or, like me, have been diagnosed for a while. There is a weath of knowledge and experience here. All you need to do is ask.

I too was a bit scared when I LP was requested. I had read so many horror stories about them. But, when the time came, it really isn't so bad, and luckily, you can't see what they are doing. There is very little pain involved, minimal in fact. It can be a little uncomfortable, probably a better word than pain.

However, rest after, drink loads of loaded sugar drinks and you'll be fine.

It is a very unbalanced time, when you are going through the diagnoses ( DX) procedure. For some the diagnosis is pretty quick, for some it has taken years!

Whatever the results. MS does NOT mean the end of the world, or the end of your life. Things may change a bit for you, and you will possibly need to adapt to accommodate some symptoms.

One step at a time, and if you're feeling down, scared, or anything else.......just post here!

Scully

x

Edited by Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Christina

:welcome2: From me too Jaime

Chris x :flowerface:

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

Nick

Hi Jamie,

This is a brilliant place for you to find out a bit more about things..So a big welcome from me. As is being explained, its a really difficult time for you right now, A lot of us understand this very well as we too have had to go through the same processes.

Try not to worry to much but do ask lots of questions. I think you will get lots of useful answers.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Christina

Just to add, the main side effect of LP is headache, but Di has given good advice, lying flat for as long as possible afterwards plus the addition of caffeine will help. Often people find the headache disappears when lying down but is worse on standing and moving around.

If the MRI is conclusive there may be no need for the LP. Fingers crossed for you.

Chris x

Not waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain ....

druidsam

Just to add, the main side effect of LP is headache, but Di has given good advice, lying flat for as long as possible afterwards plus the addition of caffeine will help. Often people find the headache disappears when lying down but is worse on standing and moving around.

Chris x

thats what worked for me

i didnt really rest after my LP and didnt have any problems, i was terrified at the thought of it but the reality isnt nearly as bad as you think it will be

Edited by druidsam

druidsam.gif

Jaime

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying..I just wanted to say thanks so much for everyones replies and for all the reasurance. I read the replies when I was on my lunch break and it made me feel so much better. As people have said, what a wonderful bunch of people you all are.

Thank you

x