The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
lizzydrippin

Hi, Help with leg spasm please?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

lizzydrippin

LEG Spasm. My most distressing symptom that I really wish I could minimize.I already stretch and use an exercise bike. Any help would be much appreciated.

Heste

Welcome Lizzy,

I have this symptom too but for me it is not particularly distressing, although I can understand why it might be. My most distressing symptom is fatigue because that affects my mind as well as my body. For my leg spasms I was offered Baclofen (the drug used to acton spasticity and muscle spasms) but I turned it down as it has the side effect of weakening the muscles. I have a routine of exercise but nothing stops the spasms. I guess I have just got used to it. However it really annoys my cat. He likes to sleep on my legs at night and despite occasionally being rudely awoken by the spasms he still returns and settles down again. My spasms are not constant. They tend to occur at night and during the morning.

The forum can be a little quiet at the weekend. Perhaps others will be able to offer more useful advice later. Tell us a little more about yourself and your symptoms as this helps people know what sort of suggestions would be of help to you.

Regards,

John :cowboy:

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Lizzy,

And welcome to the MS people forums discussion boards and blogs. Nice to have you aboard !

You have had MS for some years? I admire the amount of excercise you do.

Spasms for me affect mainly my left leg, and I also suffer a lot of pain with them too. I'm Primary Progressive, but luckily my decline is fairly slow, although the last few months have been more difficult for me.

I do take Baclofen as a muscle relaxant, and I am currently also trying swimming in order to stretch those tight and painful muscles. I also use a Neuro- physio and am about to embark on another 6 week course of group excercise to help. The swimming is good for me, as the water gives bouyancy so it's not so high impact. It's a bit of a struggle getting out of the pool and getting dried and dressed but I'm sure it's helping.

Baclofen does relax muscles and help ease the pain, but as John says, if the dose is too high it can cause jelly legs.

Do have a good look round the boards, and also feel free to ask as many questions as you would like to.

Scully

x

Edited by Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

lizzydrippin

Hi John and Scully. Thanks for your replies. I understand your frustration with fatigue, although I too get it its not painful and pain is defo my biggest bugbear. I've always said "I do a nice line in weakness but not pain!" Lol. I tried baclofen years ago it gave me horrendous . I have taken Zanaflex before which was quite good but I needed a high dose which worried me. Also tried Sativex at night which was very good but caused rapidly worsening cognitive probs. Over past few years my local branch has provided physio group exercise class which along with 1 to 1 sessions and myofascial massage/trigger point work has meant I could stop drugs apart from some diclofenac. However a fall just under a year ago which wedged me between the loo and a wall (not as funny as it sounds) caused damage too my ribs and subsequently shoulder which has only just been resolved. So my usual get round it positive attitude has been a bit dented andleg spasm is the proverbial straw! Last night heel pain also decided to stop me sleeping on my back which upset my shoulder again. I wonder if my ex is sticking pins in a doll! Lol

I'm really very lucky not to be worsely affected by my MS and apologize for the wingeing which is out of character.

It is good to chat to peeps who know what this condition does to your love, it leads you into totally different mental, emotional and physical places to those you would have chosen!

Lizzy

lizzydrippin

Horrendous headaches, life not love. Guess who should have read before posting!

Lizzy

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Lizzy,

First if all, there is never any need to apologise here. We know that somedays we are just so fed up with everything, pain, difficult mobility, and general frustration at not being able to carry out tasks as we used to. Sometimes it good to vent our anger and frustrations, and here is a pretty good place to do it because we all understand the daily struggle.

My group physio, ran by a Neuro-physio is also organised by my local Branch. I also have a Wii-fit which I do try and use when I'm able, mainly for balance excercises.

I do worry about the cocktails of meds I take at times. A currently on huge doses of Gabapentin after a recent bout of Trigeminal Neuralgia, plus Baclofen, although I have cut out the amitriptyline since I'm taking so much Gabapentin. My GP and my new Neuro have both agreed that I can ' play about with the dosage ' lol.

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

lizzydrippin

Hi Scully,

I feel it's all about finding meds and therapies that give us as much relief and mobility as poss which is prob different for all of us. I think the neuro led groups are great. Shame the NHS won't take on board how valuable regular physio is to neuro patients and how much money they'd save if they invested in it instead of having too admit peeps cos of falls, infections, muscle contractures etc.

Lizzy

BowLocks

I find 375 mg of magnesium eases the problem of spasm & cramp.

Jess2013

hi bowlocks does that allow you to take less balofen or non at all?

I would think anything natural that helps would be better

BowLocks

I have never taken baclofen, but we are all different and guess it depends on how bad the problem is. You might need to adjust the amount of magnesium to suit you, although it can act as a laxative in high amounts, so best be careful. Otherwise it is a beneficial mineral and will do no harm.

Bigbird

Hi there and welcome

I take a very low dose of baclofen but I also have Botox injections for spasm. The combination works really well for me. Botox was difficult to get on the NHS but if you have a good GP it is NICE approved

Good luck BB x

Life's too short to be subtle