The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Comfortably_Numb

Funny toes? Spasms?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Comfortably_Numb

Hello guys, quick question. I keep getting foot pain in my left foot (arch of foot and down sides). It comes on periodically and after activity (decorating and Xmas shopping to date). My toes are also weird in just my left foot. The toes no longer match my right foot and and higgly-de-piggle-de all the time. Am I experiencing spasms? I don't necessarily have the foot pain all the time, but my toes are always weird. The pain can cause me to limp a little, but nothing major. I don't believe I've injured my foot and it's not tender to touch. Any ideas much appreciated! Thanks :-)

And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me.

Shine on until tomorrow. Let it be.

Mal

Do the toes go stiff with a cramp feeling in them ?

if i'm on my feet for some time , they ache like hell with pain in the arches

that spreads up to the ankle and i end up limping

its something i'm going to bring up when i next see my nurse , i asked my GP ,

but the only thing she starts going on about is changing my tablets , which i don't

want to do at the moment .

i know this is of no help to you , but at least you know your

note suffering alone lol

Mal x

Comfortably_Numb

Thanks Mal. The pain isn't in my toes - it is mainly in the arch of my foot and also outer side of foot and it can suddenly disappear and then come back like toothache / cramp. My toes are defo stiff and won't wiggle like they used to. It's just weird.

Hezza

Hi hon,

It could be spasms. My toes twitch and wiggle all by themselves quite frequently. It's not painful but I can feel the nerve twitch & then if I look I see them dancing around. To be honest I find this particular symptom fascinating and have been know to sit & watch them for ages :lolsign: They also cramp up at times, this normally happens if I try to point my toes or scrunch them up. This I don't like so much because it does hurt. Thankfully it never lasts very long!

:hugs2:

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Comfortably_Numb

Hi thanks Hezza, my toes don't dance - I wish they did as I'd too be entertained, LOL. Toes are funny at the best of times huh :-D I'm gonna keep monitoring my foot pain anyhoo.

Thanks guys :-)

• Like 1

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Hi guys,

It may help you if you performed some gentle stretching on the foot and calf. If these muscles are fully extended from time to time, hopefully they won't spasm or cramp so much.

Here's an example of the type of stretch http://www.victoriamassagetherapy.ca/calf-foot-stretches.html . I'm sure you could find others by Googling foot/calf stretch.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Comfortably_Numb

Thanks, I'll try some stretches :-)

Nindancer

My feet do weird things, I can't point my toes on my right foot.... unless I fool my foot by circling my ankle into it!

And just trying to work out why both feet don't do the same thing at the same time will occasionally give me fierce cramps in my left foot. I don't really understand it either

Sonia x

Sluggish
Marina

When I had my big "relapse" which eventually led to my DX, one of the symptoms I had that year was a severe cramping in the arches of my feet. It would suddenly come on when walking. It didn't last long per "attack" but could happen several times a day, over a few weeks. Thankfully, I haven't had it again since then, or if I have, then it's been just once as a one-off.

What I do frequently get though, is a curling down of one my toes (same toe on each foot!) where it ends up looking as if I'm trying to cross my toes, especially if I try to point my feet. It's painful and I have to manually uncurl it. Sometimes, it happens just by itself for no reason.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Comfortably_Numb

Yes, painful arch of foot but also down outer side of foot. Ah well, it keeps us on our toes! (Geddit??)

Sluggish
Marina

To be honest, it was 10 yrs ago when I had it, so I can't remember if the pain spread down to the outer side of the foot, it may well have done. All I remember is that it was painful...

Haha, good pun re keeping us on our toes! :lolbash:

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)