The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
lisa

Prescriptions

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

lisa

Hi all just a qwickie I was wondering if anyone new if us msers we're entitled to free prescriptions ?? Or does it depend on if your getting certain benefits ??

Thanks lisa x

Sluggish
Marina

On the whole, I think it greatly depends on how friendly your GP is. It's not at all dependent on benefits though.

There's a post with more about this here: http://ms-people.com/forum/topic/4395-free-prescriptions/?do=findComment&comment=21579

If your scripts are many or expensive, it's worth trying for.

Good luck!

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Nick

Well worth discussing with your GP, It is not dependent on benefits. You need to be eligible for an 'Exemption certificate' This applies for certain medical conditions but not specifically MS. However one of the 'conditions' is as follows: , "A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person" With MS some GP's will consider the fact that as the condition is variable there may well be times when you are unable to collect prescriptions yourself and would on that basis be able to grant the certificate.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

Sleepy
Scully

Hello.

I've not tried the GP for an exemption certificate, although I know they exist if the GP is happy to agree to them.

I use a ore oayment certificate. It costs £10.40 per month, given the rising costs and the amount of meds I have, over the course of a year it is a saving. You just have to work out how many scripts you have on average a year, and compare it against the pre payment costs. For me, it makes the saving.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

eliza

I also get pre payment cert, it does work out reasonable , also if you can do 3 monthly and stock up you can sometime gain some free weeks. If you are organised enough otherwise the yearly is fine. If you really do have mobility problems do take your info and get free prescriptions. I know someone who used to have thyroid probs which she funnily enough does not have anymore and still claims her free prescriptions and stage2 diabetics can also get free. they even claim paracetamol. You have to fight for everything with MS. I have to watch my pre-payment this year as in 6 months I will be 60 and get them free unless the government decides in april to put it up, I now have to wait until I am 66 for my pension. I started work at 15 and paid ni until 7 years ago. Sorry going off on one.

Anyway Lisa back to the subject, if you qualify free prescriptions claim it, no harm in asking your gp.

• Like 1

Nick

.....................Just past 60 myself so all of a sudden I'm labeled as 'old' :what: As you might imagine I don't intend to live up to that lable!

Get over the number of years you have payed NI. I felt very much the same but we still live in the 'Welfare State' and with the exception of state pensions the amount you pay in is not relevant. ........

Imagine if a young baby was not eligible! I'm the same as having to wait until 66. Be sure to get a "pensions Statement' for this year and check that all the records are correct. The system changes next year and if you have a 'contracted out' pension you need to know just how it will be effected by the time you get to 66.

Nick

Just another Warrior...........

lisa

Ahh thanks everyone for your replys. Gona ring my doc tomorrow and see if I can get an exemption certificate if not the pay monthly option will work out much better than £805 for each perscription thanks again

Lisa x

eliza

Its not the NI for welfare that bugs me just the pension age for women. Yes I agree it should be evened out but a few of the people I know worked out the pensions to receive at 60 and went for early retirement . It doesnt matter though does it, as we all live longer, yeh my dad died at 65 a month after receiving his old age pension brother in law at 55 . We all know them. Sorry going miserable. Anyway I am not miserable I have my lovely 6 month old granddaughter staying with me. They are the future.