The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Gina

Any memory problems?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Gina

Hi, I am very new to this forum, but feel it is time to reach out to other people who have MS, in the hope of gaining insight an inspiration. I am aware that it seems to be getting harder to remember things - mainly names and numbers. Is this an MS thing? Or is it just getting a bit older? Has anyone else had problems like this?

Hezza

Hi and :welcome: Gina,

Yes some people with MS do find that they can have problems with memory, thinking things through, etc. It is referred to as Cognitive issues - http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/cognition.jsp

The MS Trust created a separate website that contains lots of hints and tips to help with these symptoms: http://www.stayingsmart.org.uk

I find that my cognitive symptoms are worse when I am tired. In fact I've 'lost' my car twice this week because I've been at work longer than I intended and couldn't remember where I parked it when I left :lolsign:

I hope you'll find the forum welcoming and helpful :hearts:

• Like 1

Life is short. Eat dessert first. Jacques Torres

Nick

Hi Gina,

A big hello from me and nice to see you here.

Oh yes! Memory issues are something that worries me too. Like you it is difficult to know if its just the years ticking up, or an MS issue. As Hezza describes, its definitely a factor that relates to fatigue. With me its also about an inability to process data quickly. The good news, as far as I can tell, is that by understanding what suits you, you can, if careful, avoid some of the worst effects. Some of the information from the MS Trust has come directly from other people with just such problems and is very useful! I have not lost my car yet!!! but it is only a matter of time!!

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

Gina

Thanks guys.

Hezza, cheers for those links. I especially liked the 'Staying Smart'. I had not seen that before. Reading through some of the tips on that website made me realize that my poor memory is probably not all that obvious to others, but I feel more conscious of if it, as I know it is an MS symptom. It is like - because I have this condition - I am noticing it more and looking out for it - more than I would be if I didn't know I had MS. Whenever I explain these symptoms to others, they all tell me that they have forgotten things and can't always find the word they are looking for. So its difficult to know if it is the MS or just a side effect of having a busy life, and not really devoting enough time to keeping my brain active and having enough sleep and right amount of exercise.

Sleepy
Scully

Hello Gina,

Welcome from me too.

It's a tricky one, as we get older, the old grey matter doesn't work as well I fear. On the other hand, cognitive issues are one of the staples of MS.

I try to keep my brain active, whether it's reading, or in fact, some of the memory games that are available online.

I've also become a list maker....often finding that I go to the shop, I know exactly what I want, but when I get home, I have things that weren't on my mental list, and I don't have the very things that I went for!...so lists are the answer for that little problem for me.

I'm please you are finding some good advice and some interesting reading on the forums here.

Scully

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Nick

Lori,

I thought that was the way all ladies shopped ! Totally out of order but I could not resist! I 'write' computer post it notes to myself all the time, as aid memoir. It all helps.

Nick

• Like 1

Just another Warrior...........

Sleepy
Scully

Thanks Nick !.. Made me smile when I read that.

In answer, I say " well, it's my excuse....and I'm sticking to it "

Also when my dearly beloved says..." Is that a new dress"....I can say...'I can't remember ' so memory loss can have its advantages in some ways.

Always an up side, that's my motto

Scully

• Like 1

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

Mal

Hello and welcome from me Gina :welcome:

i forgot what i come here for now :what::lmao2:

best wishes

Mal

• Like 1

Nindancer

Hello and welcome :wavebunny:

Sonia x

Busy
Gosport Nancy

This is just in case anyone missed my latest post

Just to clarify. I saw a neurologist back in the early 90s as my GP suspected I had a problem with my central nervous system but the Neurologist, without pursuing any investigations, told me all of my symptoms were down to anxiety.

Since then I have never managed to convince any GP to refer me to anyone else about my continuing symptoms so I am self-diagnosed.

I have finally managed to get referred to a memory clinic and am also waiting for the results of a head scan that happened in June. The referrals were not connected to any mention of M.S. as I asked due to deterioration in my cognitive functioning which wasn't great anyway.

A privately funded clinical psychologist picked up on all of these issues + ADD and Dyslexia but NHS doctors dismissed the report and continued to put things down to anxiety, which thankfully I don't suffer with.