The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Gosport Nancy

Cognitive and Memory Issues Have Got Worse

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Busy
Gosport Nancy

Hi everyone

Just to clarify. I saw a neurologist back in the early 90s as my GP suspected I had a problem with my central nervous system but the Neurologist, without pursuing any investigations, told me all of my symptoms were down to anxiety.

Since then I have never managed to convince any GP to refer me to anyone else about my continuing symptoms so I am self-diagnosed.

I have finally managed to get referred to a memory clinic and am also waiting for the results of a head scan that happened in June. The referrals were not connected to any mention of M.S. as I asked due to deterioration in my cognitive functioning which wasn't great anyway.

A privately funded clinical psychologist picked up on all of these issues + ADD and Dyslexia but NHS doctors dismissed the report and continued to put things down to anxiety, which thankfully I don't suffer with.

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Gosport Nancy , are you able to finance a private consultation with a Neurologist? This may prove more beneficial to try and "connect the dots" of your issues. After the consultation, you can return to the NHS list.

Your GP should be able to arrange it.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Busy
Gosport Nancy

@Stumbler My GP has already refused to refer me to an NHS neurologist. He also took me off the cardiology list because I had a bad reaction to an ACE inhibitor he prescribed. This means I have no annual echocardiogram,, no cardiology appointments and no treatment for my heart failure.

I'm currently waiting on a private housing list for a place in a retirement home in my home town in Hampshire as that is where my family members live. The waiting list is currently more than 10 years but would be significantly reduced with medical backing which my GP doesn't support.

He ignores any private consultations I have ad in the past so I am not about to throw money at something that won't improve my current position

Edited by Gosport Nancy

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Gosport Nancy , your GP cannot refuse to allow you to request a private consultation. It's your money so you can spend it how you like.

I dare say you could approach a Private Neurologist directly. Google would be your friend to find a suitably qualified consultant in your area - maybe Hurstwood Park. Your GP should not be able to ignore anything specific which is reported back to them.

• Like 1

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Busy
Gosport Nancy

@Stumbler The only money I have isn't enough to cover private consultations.

I don't see my GP now as he never listens to me or the NHS consultants I have seen in the past. I muddle on with my self-diagnosis. I really don't need the additional expense and hassles of trying to get help through the NHS

I have my memory clinic appointment coming up next month so I need to focus on that right now

Edited by Gosport Nancy
additional information

Procrastinating
Stumbler

@Gosport Nancy , it seems like your relationship with the GP is not conducive to the optimum management of your health.

Does you practice have an alternative GP? Alternatively, is there another local practice?

• Like 1

Busy
Gosport Nancy
3 hours ago, Stumbler said:

@Gosport Nancy , it seems like your relationship with the GP is not conducive to the optimum management of your health.

Does you practice have an alternative GP? Alternatively, is there another local practice?

I do not want to see any GPs in the town where I live now as it would be too time-consuming to switch to another GP practice. Also who is to say I would find a better GP someplace else?

If it's an emergency then I will call an ambulance; if it isn't I don't really need a GP to do anything. I only contact my GP practice through my prescription requests.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Any memory problems?

Hi, I am very new to this forum, but feel it is time to reach out to other people who have MS, in the hope of gaining insight an inspiration. I am aware that it seems to be getting harder to remember things - mainly names and numbers. Is this an MS thing? Or is it just getting a bit older? Has anyone else had problems like this?

in General Discussion about MS

• Spasms getting worse

Hi All, I have had SPMS for some 15 years, with the main problem being mobility, with occasional (usually) night-time spasms (big toes bending upwards, nearly always right foot) whilst this used to be more annoying than anything else, it has got worse over the last few weeks and can last for over 3 hours at a time. It is now having a devastating impact on my routine, and I would love to hear any tips or advice from members on coping techniques.   I currently take up to 8 Baclofen daily, which I do think are effective any more, and am currently on a trial for Sativex- but this does not seem to touch an aggressive episode like last night, even a Diazepam on top didn't help   I have tried Gabapentin but had a bad reaction, and although usually effective, I don't want to become reliant on Diazepam.   Any help massively appreciated. Regards Mark

• Fatigue worse in OZ/NZ?

Hi, I am new to this forum so I do apologise if I have not done this correctly.   I was diagnosed with RRMS last August after first getting Optic Neuritis and then bad legs.   I am a website designer so thankfully I am able to work from home most days and venturing in the office when I am feeling well.   I would say my fatigue is the worst thing, I am sure many of you will agree. I take Amantadine, eat healthy and get lots of sleep but still feel bad. I recently got married in Vegas and it was the first time I felt a lot better, the dry heat I think really helped me.   The recent hot/humid weather in the UK has done the opposite, it has made me spend days in bed and being unable to work.   My wife and I have been thinking whether it maybe a good idea to go abroad for 4/6 months to see how I am. I can still get a works visa for NZ and I am seriously thinking of going to work there and also travel to see how I am.   Has anyone been to Oz/Nz and found that the symptoms have not been as bad?   I know heat is a bad thing, but for some reason I felt great the other month in Vegas, It maybe a holiday/wedding high but clinging on to the thought that dry heat may actually help me.   Any advice/help would be appreciated.   Chris

• Eyesight issues

A little over three weeks ago I started having pain in my left eye when moving it (looking to the sides or up/down) and after around a week my vision started to get worse in that eye. The pain lasted for two weeks and has now gone, but the vision is still bad. Everything is duller, colours less vibrant, it sort of looks like the world has gone misty and I can't see properly. Just sitting here at my computer, if I close my good eye I can't read what I'm typing without sticking my face very close to the screen.   I had optic neuritis a couple of years ago and was worried it could be that again so told my nurse who bumped up my appointment with the eye department and I went in yesterday. They did the basic eye test reading the chart, which I couldn't read as well as usual but it wasn't too bad (I always find the chart is misleading about my eyes because it's lit up and so high contrast I see it a lot better then I do things in the normal world). I also had the field of vision test and a scan of my eyes.   At the end she told me my vision was better then 100% and she didn't need to see me again until May next year. I told her I can't see properly from that eye but she just kept telling me there's nothing wrong with the eye and not to worry.   When I asked about why it's bad she said maybe a headache, a memory of my past optic neuritis or maybe early optic neuritis that isn't showing signs yet. I assume by headache she meant migraine, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like that's the case. I don't know what she meant by memory. And if it could be optic neuritis in the early stages wouldn't they want to see me again to confirm it?   I'll be seeing my neuro soon for other test results so I guess I'll wait and ask him about it as he's always been very helpful.   Have any of you had similar eye issues and what did it turn out to be?

• Just wondering ,pain and memory

i have neuropathic pain in my legs,also have poor cognitive skills and pretty poor memory,so why cant i forget the pain !! lol take care everyone and have a good day xx

About Us

Founded in 2004, MS People UK is a community website and discussion forum by and for people with Multiple Sclerosis as well as for friends, families, supporters and those interested in this disabling condition.

If you’re newly diagnosed or want to ask about possible first symptoms, or if you’ve had Relapse Remit, Secondary or Primary Progressive MS for some time, a welcoming group of fellow MS sufferers is here to chat with you about MS symptoms, diagnosis and treatments.

The atmosphere is friendly whilst being compassionate, supportive and caring. Members also post about a variety of subjects not related to MS, as well as share jokes, talk about their hobbies, have fun, and more.

The MS People Forum is not responsible for advice or information supplied by members. We suggest you seek medical advice before trying anything.