The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Heste

House

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

Do any of you chaps watch the TV series "House". I like to watch it while cooking dinner (my wife hates the series, but likes me to cook).

If you watch it, have you noticed how often Dr House is presented with a mystey illness with stange symtoms and he and the other doctors sit around suggesting possible conditions. For each condition suggested someone will shoot it down for some technical reason. Eventually they have to stop and do tests. Very often in the lists of possible conditions MS is frequently chucked in. So far it is never the cause. I sometimes wonder if the main reason I watch this programe is just to see if one day the mystey illness is MS.

Ok its fiction, but I like it...especially as the hero, Dr House, walks with a stick.

Regards,

John :welcome2:

Lindyloo

Hi John

What station is it on? as i live in Ireland i might not get it.. will watch out for it.. think i would like it 2.

I like the President programe. cant remember the name of it.. it was cool to see ms been brought in to televison drama in a positive way. I hate ms been used on tv programs in a negative way e.g The Bill. I remember not long being diagnosed and seeing an episode of the Bill( a program that i always watched) with the most dismal, depressing storyline of a woman with ms... she was a dope addict and had her son (a 12yr old) going out buying her cannabis.... the story made me sick.. Pity "The BIll" would not have a WPC working in their station with MS and use it in a positive way.. and possibly educate people about disabillites and MS..

By the way John I love your moggies... have two cats myself...

lindyloo

LindyLoo xx

" This moment will pass " (Bono U2)

Michelle

Hi John,

Lupus is also mentioned frequently> Both Andrew and I are avid watchers of the series. Enjoyed watching house the latest series> However, I do think Dr House is fixated with his bosses boobs :winkgrin: He gets on mine with his frequent remarks about them :lolbash:

Michelle :welcome2: <<<< Dr House

Heste

Hi Lindyloo,

I watch it on "Five US" I think (or at least on a Freeview channel with a 5 in it). It stars Hugh Laurie.

I must update my website. It doesn't have my latest two dogs on it. It's one of the problems with maintaining websites that I update it less frequently than nature updates my animals. We also have two guinea-pigs holidaying with us again this year for two weeks. I love Guinea pigs but unfortunately so does our new, fresh-off-the-track, retired greyhound. I love to see them, she loves to try to kill them. We are working on her. She is just starting to get used to Midge the cat and not chase her every time she sees her. Fortunately for Midge she lives in a different part of the house where she can completely avoid Mya the racing dog. The other cats have their own dog free house.

Mish, I too had noticed Lupus frequently on their list. I have no idea which series I am watching. It might be an old one being retransmitted on Freeview. I don't watch TV enough to get Sky.

Tonight I will be glued in front of "Who do you think you are?". Ancestry is a hobby/obsession of mine.

Regards,

John :welcome2:

Teen

This is what is up with House's leg.

"He had an aneurism that clotted, leading to an infarction. Which basically means there was a blood clot in his thigh that blocked blood flow for three days before being correctly diagnosed. The delay in diagnosis lead to death of muscle tissue. His doctors recommended amputation, but House (being the ray of sunshine that he is) insisted that they simply remove the clot and restore blood flow. This option was dangerous because it would wash some pretty nasty stuff from the necrotic (ie dead) tissue back into his system

richard

ohhh, i lurve house (the program, not the chap!!)

Its strange, as its the same format every episode, but so watchable!. Im completely up-to date and look forward to season 5 starting in September.

Im also midway through watching nip/tuck. Another medical type prog, but based on plastic surgeons. I also have Greys Anatomy in the wings!

Teen

I was wondering something the other day. It does appear that he uses the stick on the bad leg when I understood that you should use it on your good side. Or is that wrong?

Lindyloo

What station is it on guys? :angel:

I love Football and cant wait for the season to start... :love::stars:

John your house sounds great with all your wee housemates. I am looking after my friends dog 'Spike' he is a lovely fella but NO NO to cats... Have to separate Ruby & Tommy from him... (Cats)

My own black lab toby loves the two cats and they sleep with him...

They are all such good fun.

lindyloo

LindyLoo xx

Teen

Channel 5 and sometimes on the Hallmark channel. I don't know which days.

Lindyloo

OOoo just spotted you told me John what station?? Dont have that one here but hope to get Sky because i like to watch the football also.

thanks john

Lindyloo

LindyLoo xx

richard

its also out on DVD too. I picked up the first 2 seasons (6 disks per box set) for about

Lindyloo
its also out on DVD too. I picked up the first 2 seasons (6 disks per box set) for about

LindyLoo xx

Jayneanne

Hey John

House is my hero, even with the lousy american accent LOl

I get it over here on a lunchtime on 105 at 12.45pm and I ill do anything to make sure I am around at that time in case I miss it. Abbey is under strict instructions to be quiet and I am glued to the tele with my cuppa - what a saddo eh

I too am waiting for an MS result but I think that may be a bit too dull for the guys

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

Michelle

Now Lindyloo :love: Do you need counselling? :angel: I mean football? :stars:

Michelle :jawdrop:

Lindyloo

:hearts: oooooo yes... i am so excited about the Premiership being back this weekend.. love reading the back pages of newspaper to check out transfers of who's going where?? Yeah i spose i am a bit nuts.... 8-)

So i have put up a new Football topic incase theres anyone out there who wants to chat about football, players, managers, fixtures..

Lindyloo xx

LindyLoo xx

Sluggish
Marina
I was wondering something the other day. It does appear that he uses the stick on the bad leg when I understood that you should use it on your good side. Or is that wrong?

I've only watched House once, last week, and for no apparent reason I wondered why he used a stick and wondered if it was due to MS. Just goes to show how we might assume something based on our own experiences!

Re using a stick, when I first used mine, I used it with my right hand for my right leg, and my physio told me I should be using it with my left hand. So, yes, it should be used on your good side. Didn't make sense to me as I thought the stick was to sort of replace the bad leg, but apparently one gets better support by using it with the good arm - it's to do with the good arm naturally swinging forward at the same time as the bad leg naturally steps forward, so you have the stick to "replace" the leg even if it's on the other side of your good leg - Gad, this sounds about as clear as mud, doesn't it? :hearts: People like Dr House use it by moving the same arm and leg forward rather than opposite ones.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Heste

I thought this depended on whether you need the stick for balance or to take weight. Dr House uses his to take weight from his bad leg which would reduce the pain he suffers from in his leg. Thus the sick moves with the bad leg and takes the weight while his other leg is lifted as he walks. My stick in on my good side so my stick has already moved forward and stops me falling if my bad leg trips. I see my stick as a third leg when I walk. Three legs are better than two. Four would be better (you never see a dog trip up and fall flat on his barkhole) but that would use up too many hands (it is this compromise that explains why dogs can't open doors).

Regards,

John :lolbash:

Happy Friday :hearts:

Teen

My my I've opened a can of worms with the walking stick thing haven't I. If ever I need one I'll get one of those zimmer frames sounds a lot easier :hearts:

Sluggish
Marina
I thought this depended on whether you need the stick for balance or to take weight. Dr House uses his to take weight from his bad leg which would reduce the pain he suffers from in his leg. Thus the sick moves with the bad leg and takes the weight while his other leg is lifted as he walks.

Makes sense too I guess! Although when my phsyio told me to always use a stick (outdoors at least), it was both for balance and pain... I do find myself nowadays sometimes changing sides.

Marina

(belated DX in June '05, SPMS)

Michelle

I have to change hands frequently. Sounds strange ,but I just don't feel comfortable using it with my good arm. I blame my brain. :welcome2: <<< I think this emoticon looks a bit crazy. Like Jack Nicolson in 'the Shining' :winkgrin: I'm Hoooooome!

Michelle :cheerleader3:

Heste

So I am watching the episode of "House" where they dealing with a massively over-weight guy. He was brought in in a coma and on coming to he is unsteady and disorientated. The doctors are discussing the possibility of him having MS. Now, since when was "Coma" a symptom of MS? Anyone would think this was fiction :hearts:

Perhaps I should show this program to my boss. That way, when I fall asleep during meetings I can say I just fell into an MS coma.

Regards,

John :cheerleader3:

richard

:cheerleader3: not quite close to life is it.

The day i had my LP, it was on in my room, and the neuro commented on it. He said they all watch it, and wouldn't it be easier if all diagnosis were like that

Jayneanne

That should be another name for fatigue John, it certainly gets me like that sometimes LOL

Jayneanne

We make a Living by what we get, we make a Life by what we give

RedSonja

I like Dr. House too. They always suggest MS or Lupus, but it never is.

Presumably because he couldn't fix it then.

I watch it on German satellite television. When I am in England I try to catch all my favourite series just to hear what their voices sound like in the original. Often disappointing, I'm afraid. I havn't seen Dr. House in English yet. I can remember him being in Dad's Army, I gather he has assumed an American accent since those days.

Bibo ergo sum

Heste
I can remember him being in Dad's Army, I gather he has assumed an American accent since those days.

I don't recall Hugh Laurie ever being in Dad's Army. John Laurie (Pt James Frazer) maybe, but never Hugh Laurie. Perhaps you are thinking of "Blackadder goes forth"?

Regards,

John :newhere: