The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
kizzy

neck pain

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

kizzy

Hi all, As you know was only diagnosed wednesday so i dont know if this is to do with ms or not but for the last 3 evenings in a row i have been in so much pain with my neck going up to the back of my head that i cant even lift my head up because of the pain to the point i could cry and when i do get up it is like the pain pulses in the botton of my head and neck and i have to lay straight back down . The thing is when i wake in the morning the pain is gone well only very very mild. Im dreading tonight and pain killers have no effect at all. Has anybody else had this problem ?

Thanks Tracy :0(

LynnWilliams

I don't but you should get it looked at. I'm still learning about ms myself. I get weird discomfort back of my head but no pain

kizzy

thanks hun :hearts_circle: No this pain is awful i think i would rather have another baby. I hope i dont have to go through that again tonight it is just so strange it is mainly just of a evening :cry2:

Tracy xx

LynnWilliams

Hmmm I would get that looked at ASAP Hun. Xxx all the best

kizzy

:hearts_circle:Thanks hun Xx

Lindylou

Hi Kizzy,

Sorry to hear aout your neck pain! I know exactly what you`re going through, I`ve had neck pain for years!!

It is related to the MS. Mine started in my neck when I was 18 and I am now 53 (shhhh). The pain has improved over recent years, I

found it was worse near a period and I used to get terrible migraines with it!! I think the menopause has made a big difference to my neck now as I am at last period free!!

I used to find a hot water bottle on the back of my neck (and dose up on pain killers) and just sit in a comfy chair used to help dull the pain.

Also I was told to only use one pillow in bed, and I now use an orthopedic one which helps, or you could try a memory foam one.

Also I always use a neck cushion on my armchair to help support my neck.

Hope this helps and your neck gets better soon.:goodluck:

Linda x

:hearts_circle:Thanks hun Xx

kizzy

It did help thank you so much :0), after i read your post every time i sat down i used a pillow to support my neck i also borrowed my mums hot water bottle and although i still had pain last night it was no where near as bad. I think i may have to invest in one of those neck support pillows next time im in town .

Thanks hun

Tracy X :0) :hugs2:

Akorah

Hi Tracy

I do get a lot of neck pain and i get a headache at the same time so i mentioned it to my nuero and after a few tests he said it was my muscles going into spasm in my neck and that inturn affects the muscles in the head causing all the pain. Anyways i was given some muscle relaxants and they worked! I too had tried painkillers with no effect. And also like lindylou i only have 1 pillow in bed its a memory foam one and i have found my neck muscles behave a lot better now. Hope your feeling better soon.

chelly xxx

Lindylou

You`re welcome and hope your neck gets better soon.

Linda x :smile:

It did help thank you so much :0), after i read your post every time i sat down i used a pillow to support my neck i also borrowed my mums hot water bottle and although i still had pain last night it was no where near as bad. I think i may have to invest in one of those neck support pillows next time im in town .

Thanks hun

Tracy X :0) :hugs2:

Dianni

Hi Kizzy

I find those heat pack things that stick in place work well for the pain I get in my neck and back. I have also been known to strap a hotwater bottle to my back too!

If it is neuropathic pain (and Lynne's right, get it checked in case it's not MS related) then 'normal' pain killers won't touch it. Your GP should be able to prescribe neuropathic pain killers which should help.

Hugs

Di

xxx

kizzy

thankyou all so much for your advice :kisslips: Xx