The MS PEOPLE UK Forum
Support, help, advice and information for Multiple Sclerosis. Ask questions and share experiences with people affected by MS.
Heste

Driving licence blues

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heste

As Marina thinks it's too quiet on the forum I thought I would subject you to my driving licence replacement concerns. I have a short term licence that I have to renew every three years (as many of us do). It expires end of March. My Mobility car contract expires end of May. Three years ago it took them so long to do their checks and replace my licence that Motability would not allow me to be a named driver of my new car. As luck would have it, and after a lot of last minute frantic phone calls and faxes, I managed to get added as the driver just a day or two before I was due to collect the car.

I am now hoping the DVLA and my Neuro get their act together this time so I dont have a repeat of the fiasco of three years ago. This time I will start chasing earlier.

The DVLA do allow you to continue driving if your licence expires while they are still doing their checks but Motability insist on seeing a valid licence before you can sit behind the wheel.

However, in the meantime I have a pleasure of car hunting. Time to get a new one. Last time I picked a BMW 1Series M-Sport Coupe. A great car to drive but not very practical. This time I am looking for something a little more practical.

Of course, if driving licences and car choosing is what I am calling a problem then I have very little to complain about.

Regards,

John :cowboy:

• Like 1

Nick

I had a similar problem last year when I declared the need for driving with a left foot accelerator (having done a 'driveability' assessment ) It transpired that the bottleneck was communication between the neurologist's secretary and DVLA. The process had clearly stopped and it was not until I started asking questions as to what the hold up was that the process got underway again. In all it took 3 months to sort out.

Just another Warrior...........

Sleepy
Scully

Crumbs John!

Was it really three years ago you had all this hassle? 3 years?? How did that happen when I wasn't looking

Scully

x

They are not brain lesions..........they are just bright ideas

"The truth is out there"

happyandy

As its well documented that my modus operandi is being in a drug induced dreamworld and I can't cross roads safety the DVLA have my licence and wont give me it back until I get better or come of my meds.

However I stay in Edinburgh and the public transport is excellent and the buses are free. It was a bummer but I look at my bank balance and think they actually did me a favour.

John, Is it still the case that those of us who have indefinite DLA will not be reassessed for PIP for a couple of years ?

Andy

If I knew I was going to live so long I would have taken better care of my body

Heste

John, Is it still the case that those of us who have indefinite DLA will not be reassessed for PIP for a couple of years ?

Andy

Yes, they will not begin the process of reassessing those on indefinite DLA awards until October 2015. They will then send 'invitations' to claim PIP. This may take them until 2016 or longer to send out. This only applies to people of working age. those under 16 and over 64 (or is that 67 now) will remain on DLA ( DLA will eventually cease through time). Those with fixed period DLA, new claims or those who ask for changes to their DLA will be assessed under PIP from March 2013 or as their fixed periods end.

Of course, all this is subject to change, u-turns and public revolt. As the appeal process is expected to become clogged I would advise that we start our appeal processes now (joke).

Regards,

Procrastinating
Stumbler

Andy, as I believe it, we won't be reassessed until 2015.

:moonieman:

John aka Stumbler (as I do fall over!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Heste

However I stay in Edinburgh and the public transport is excellent and the buses are free. It was a bummer but I look at my bank balance and think they actually did me a favour.

I agree. I have started using free buses in London for short journeys. Much easier than driving. They are more reliable than I thought too. However, i live in the sticks and so public transport is not a good option for me.

Regards,

john :cowboy:

Heste

Here's an interesting little bit of info I discovered today. You may already know that if you have a really low milage (under 15,000) at the end of your three years contract or if you have a significantly adapted or wheelchair accessible vehicle then they may allow you to extend your contract beyond the three years. Well I was talking to Motability today and I asked if it was possible to extend my lease so it would not coincide with my driving licence renewal. They had to go away and check but then came back with....yes, I can extend my contract for 6 months. So then I would get my new licence and I would still have time to test drive as many cars I wanted (many dealers don't officially let you test drive without seeing a current licence). Then I will be able to order a new car with me as the driver (Motability also insist on seeing a current driving licence before ordering a car with me the driver).

Regards,

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now